Users Online Now: 2,011 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,086,588
Pageviews Today: 1,986,304Threads Today: 672Posts Today: 14,743
07:12 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject WOW!! Very Rare 5.1 EQ Strikes Ross Sea, Antarctica, South Pole - The Last Earthquake = 10 YEARS AGO
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Here is the Earthquake:

2012/08/03 06:06:10
-76.308 164.427
10.0km
ROSS SEA

[link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

[link to www.youtube.com]

According to the following website, the last Earthquake there was 10 Years ago:
[link to earthquaketrack.com]

They get there information from USGS so I'm guessing it's safe to say the last quake was indeed over 10 years ago. Also, it's so rare that there isn't a single thread on GLP stating that there has been a EQ there before...

One thread I did find on GLP about Ross Sea was this (Must Read):
Thread: Ross Ice Shelf could 'collapse quickly' and trigger a rapid rise in sea levels

I have posted the above information about the quake in that thread however, thought this quake deserved a thread of it's own seen as it's the first in over 10 years and especially it being a 5.1.....

Another thread that I will mention also is this one too:
Thread: The unusual temperature decrease in Antarctica recorded by Russian scientists

Hmmmm, what the hell happened I wonder....Will update post as soon as other articles come out on this...

Update: Further down on this page, I have posted snippets of an article from 2006 regarding Ross Ice Shelf, very interesting read....

Also been digging up some old threads and found these:

Thread: Palmer Station, Scott Base and South Pole, ANTARCTICA LISS seismo's looking VOLCANIC??

This is a good thread:
Thread: Mega Volcano Active Now near surface in Antarctica , Proved !

Someone asked wether the Ross Ice Shelf featured in the film 'The Day After Tomorrow' and here is the answer...

wasn't it the ross ice shelf at the beginning of "the day after tomorrow" that breaks apart?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19900897

Yep, your right....

In The Day After Tomorrow, the disaster threat du jour is Global Warming (tm). Dennis Quaid plays Jack Hall, the Chicken Little scientist who says that the sky is falling and who, of course, nobody listens to. After watching the Ross Ice Shelf crack and start to fall into the sea, he attends a climatology conference in New Delhi (experiencing a snowstorm) to say that ice melt from the polar ice caps may be flooding the North Atlantic with fresh water, potentially stopping the flow of the Gulf Stream. Ironic though it may sound, Global Warming could cause a new Ice Age.
[link to bowjamesbow.ca]

Remember what NASA said at a conference last year:

Thread: ***MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT RE: SUN'S 11 YR SUNSPOT CYCLE - MAJOR DROP IN SOLAR ACTIVITY - POSSIBLE ICE AGE??**
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP