Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Becoming a prepper - moving to the country
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message All the various incarnations of doom aside, I've spent the last few years thinking about what I want to do with my life. I'm in my early thirties, and when I look around like many of the people here do, the one thing its impossible not to notice is how fragile our ways of living have become. I suspect this is as true for non-Americans as otherwise.

But when I thought about why this way, I've come to think that the world has always been dangerous, but that we find ourselves less and less capable of surviving outside an ever narrower set of boundaries. For instance, people know how to work most of the things in their house, their vehicle, or their work, but do they know how they work, how to build them, or even just how to repair them.

More than ever, it seems we do not, and while I won't speak for others, it bothers me immensely to be dependent upon so many things I don't understand. I've been studying hard and working to understand more, and while I think there's a lifetime's work ahead, I learned that being prepared for life isn't about running away from the things you fear, it's embracing the things you can know and taking personal responsibility for you and yourself.

I spent a lot of years in politics just to learn how futile that is. All sides are so flush in money that the corruption is impenetrable, and in both cases, the parties just serve to deepen our already dangerous dependency, not just on bribes and gifts called programs, but that government will be there with an answer, and to take care of us. Obama might be more blatant than Bush, but the writing is in the same font.

And when you look beyond the unavoidable possibilities of natural doom ranging from a flare event to earthquakes and hurricanes, you see several likely problems that are coming. Cameras, surveillance, RFID, and a technological superstate will emerge absent a disaster that places the citizen in every first world country completely within eye of the state. Your actions will be monitored and assessed, your finances will be scrutinized and curtailed more and more thoroughly, and you will be protected from the ability to think for yourself. The last pieces clicked into piece for me in this puzzle when I was thinking about how the UN is considering trying to adopt a tax on all financial transactions. A cashless society, everything taken, and in death, taken away.

So, I guess I realize the clock is ticking on opposing this. It wouldn't sadden me in the least to see it removed, but it won't happen because people everywhere would rather be given something than earn something, for both good and not so good reasons. And it seems to me there are two ways to do this. The first is to become so high tech that you can constantly stay one step ahead. Some may, and I respect those who can, though I have neither the ability nor desire to be that way.
The second is to move out.

It'll take me a year or more to do it, which is longer than I'd like, but I am moving out to the country to build a better life. I think it will be more secure if anything happens, but I'm not doing it for fear, I'm doing it so I can wake up each day and do things that matter to my survival. It will be harder, involve more work, learning each day, and I am convinced it will be totally worth it.

I plan on owning my own land so that it is harder for any bank to take it away. What I grow there will be useful both for me and my community, in a place I hope will have that because it isn't about running off to play soldier alone. And maybe I'll share it with someone too, but what I won't do is compromise who I am or what I believe is necessary.

GLP played a role in this decision, so I was thinking there are probably other people here who are thinking like I do also. I believe those who say we make our future by what we choose, and though bugging out may get mocked a lot, I think when it is done right and for the right reasons, maybe it's something more of us should consider.

My fear is a time will come, not so far from now in maybe a decade, where the system will make it such where it is nearly impossible to legally or financially become self-sufficient and make this choice. So better now while times aren't so bad. Just my $.02.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP