Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Router security,,,,FIRMWARE FLASHING
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message With all this UpnP stuff going on.

I thought I would clue ya all in on a few things.

Most "routers" are made by Cisco. A lot of "branding" goes on in this market and others as you all well know.

The FIRST thing I do after getting a "new" router is replace the firmware.

Out of the box firmware is ok for those who don't care or just want an easy network connection in their home or office.

But for the rest of us who really know the workings of these devices usually re-flash the firmware with DD-WRT or Tomato or one of the other open source versions written for the many models of routers out there.

Personally I use DD-WRT in my Linksys WRT54G,,,
Now my home network is very different from the usual home network. I use very different IP settings and various subnets to further deepen my security at home. When I say this I mean I am using several routers, and "smart" switches to protect my machines from intrusion.

DD-WRT here
[link to www.dd-wrt.com]

Tomato here
[link to www.polarcloud.com]

And a simple Google search using these terms,,,
"router firmware update"
Will set you on the path to heightened security and control of your home or small business network.

I hope this helps a lot out in this dire time

peace
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP