Users Online Now: 1,985 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,081,289
Pageviews Today: 2,156,827Threads Today: 920Posts Today: 19,225
11:41 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject cnn propaganda piece about Disney (a lesson in cognitive dissonance as psy ops)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message just checking to see what cnn is reporting on and the main headline is this:

TO DISNEY OR NOT TO DISNEY

this is such an outright propaganda piece!
i do not even know where to begin to start.

so here is the link:
[link to www.cnn.com]

quotes of cognative dissonant goodness:

"For many travelers, especially those with children, it's not even a question they ask. They already know the answer.
"Yes."

"But for other vacationers, Disney inspires a firm "no."

"That's the Rev. J.C. Mitchell, who will be heading to Orlando, Florida, this year for a work conference but will not be taking his family with him, even though his job will cover most of the costs of his trip. "We do not enjoy Disney," wrote Mitchell, who went to Disney World as a child, via e-mail. "We believe it symbolically represents the excesses of our extremely individualistic society."

"People like Disney. It ranked as the third most well-regarded company--behind only Amazon.com and Apple--in a recent Harris Interactive survey of people's opinions of the most visible companies' reputations."

"Whatever people think about Disney, it's probably what they're also thinking about American society and its values, said Manchester University sociologist Robert Pettit.
"Disney does such a wonderful job of representing American culture, they're almost synonymous with America," said Pettit, who teaches a three-week course, "Disney and American Culture," that includes a Disney World site visit. "They are master storytellers, and they have the narrative business down pat."

And behind the magic, "Disney is a capitalistic corporation bent on consumerism, and that's what drives our economy," he said. "It brings out people's opinions about our society and culture in general. You can love them or be very critical of those aspects of our culture and society because it portrays them so well."

Why Disney might want to 'Escape From Tomorrow'
(this is a link they put up called that right here)

Disney is magic for Edward and Harriett Yu of Los Altos, California. The Yu family and their two daughters have happily visited Disney theme parks about every two years, and the family has sailed on two Disney cruises. Edward Yu even booked a family reunion on one of the cruises last year, reserving 10 cabins for his extended family two years in advance.
"For us as parents, it's a chance to connect back to our own childhood and brings back happy memories," wrote Yu in an e-mail. "Now that we have kids, it's priceless to see their reactions as they experience the parks/rides/shows for their first time. Words can't describe the preciousness of seeing our little ones thoroughly enjoying themselves on Disney attractions."
Because it's Disney, "we know we can expect top-notch entertainment each time we go," wrote Yu, 46. "And there is an expectation that guests behave properly, which I appreciate."

"For Lindsay Potts and her family, a good vacation is spending time with their extended family, outdoors and in nature. Potts hasn't ever visited any Disney parks but she says that paying lots of money to stand in line for "fast-paced, high-pressure" entertainment isn't for her. (Her husband visited Disneyland and Disney World as a child.)
She also doesn't want to support Disney.
"Spending hundreds of dollars to wait in lines and be surrounded by consumerism does not appeal to us," wrote Potts, who lives in Brownstown, Indiana. "Disney is a brand and also portrays a certain lifestyle that aligns with current corporate American culture.
"We have chosen to live a more alternative life style that is rooted in sustainability, equality and entertainment that is independent of television and popular media."

"Alissa Guntren of Bloomington, Indiana, went to Disney World in Florida as a child, but she won't be taking her daughters to Disney theme parks either. No matter how far Disney's princess stories have come, she doesn't want her daughters limiting themselves.
"While I am not averse to my daughters exploring fantasy worlds, I find that Disney and Disney products present children, especially girls, with a very limited fantasy world -- one in which a prince will sweep them off their feet so that they can then live happily ever after," wrote Guntren in an e-mail. "I want my daughters to be confident as individuals, not to grow up thinking there is a prince out there waiting to save them."
"In addition, I have a difficult time with the princess body types that Disney presents children with, which is an idealized adult female body type and not an appropriate one for my young and impressionable children to try to emulate."

"Parents can do everything in our power to limit our children's access to the Disney Industrial Complex, but even when we limit it, they'll find other ways to watch the shows, sing the songs and be involved with Disney-something-or-another. We choose to enjoy it together as a family in small doses, which seems reasonable."

----

just god.
look at that.
go there read the whole thing.
it's incredible.
it could be take out of some sort of weird chinese communist magazine from the 1960s or something.
it's just so damned weird.
those quotes don't come from actual people. NOBODY talks like that.

and THIS ss the MAIN HEADLINE on CNN above and beyond ALL ELSE going on in the world right now.

and you in the USA still think we are not behind a WALL?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP