Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The SHTF Guide To Bartering
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message This goes out to the less prepared, or younger people like myself who simply haven't had the time or money to properly prepare. If it were up to me, I'd be on 100 acres of land with a bunker and a few years worth of goods. We can't all be so fortunate.. so here's the next best solution.

When it all goes down, that dollar you managed to save after the greedy fucks took the rest will be as good as toilet paper. Bartering will mean the difference between life and death. I have a hunch, the well connected and prepared will live fairly well.

Do not think only about what you need, feel free to think about what things people need.

First and foremost, What items will reign supreme?

Guns & Ammunition I'd suggest a sidearm, a long rifle and a battle rifle if you can afford it. Particularly those of common caliber and are military grade. An excellent SHTF rifle would be a Mosin Nagant. If you can't protect yourself, bartering is useless.
Medicine Everything from Syringes, to gauze, to antibiotics (Especially this), and medications for common life threatening illnesses. People will give their left nut to get these if they need them bad enough.
Any type of fuel
Coffee During a crisis, Coffee will be gold.
Condoms May sound funny, but think about it.
Sugar
Alcohol I'd strongly advise learning how to make Alcohol. You can make it out of most any food, even spoiled food and leftovers. For this I'd advise a yeast reserve, as yeast can be multiplied.
Tobacco Even if you don't smoke, consider how expensive cigarettes are in prison. It would be no different when SHTF. You can buy a huge bag of it for 20 bucks.
Seeds Not only food seeds, if you catch my drift stoner
Water Filters Very cheap, very important, and will be overlooked
Soap and hygiene products
Lighters, matches, candles, light sources in general
Salt, pepper, spices
Toilet Paper Have you ever wiped your ass with a Pinecone?
Socks
Batteries
Your hot sister
Bleach
Hand tools
Trash bags, and lots of them
Disposable silverware and plates

I could go on for days. In the end it's smart to stock up on small, cheap things that will be a luxury or necessity in the future.

I came across a great story of a man in Bosnia and his SHTF experience.
"For a Tin of Spam, you could have a woman, it's horrible but it's the truth" spam
[link to www.silverdoctors.com]

Prioritize, use your head

You're going to see fools cracking open parking machines for worthless coins inside.. I'm going be the guy that takes the solar panel on top of it that most people will overlook.
It's things like this that will help you in the long run. Don't be a greedy moron and steal a TV.

Practice your bargaining skills

Never act like you really need the thing you want to buy (let it be your second choice for example).
Split trading items in more pockets when you're bargaining (do not bargain with a hand full of wealth).
Many times the seller will set the price based on how he sees you in that moment. So of course do not show off any symbol of wealth. Don't stand out or be flashy, this is the quickest way to attract attention to yourself.

Also remember that buying things at the flea market (in your case maybe yardsale or similar), is very good practice for trade in SHTF conditions. Simply because that's how it will work.

You must consider supply and demand as well. In the beginning certain items will not be of much value. People will still be under the illusion big brother is coming to save them. Disease and famine have not yet set in, this will make medicine increase exponentially in value as people realize the gravity of the situation. In the beginning candles will be gold, but as time goes on they will prioritize and find more efficient means of lighting their homes. Consider the best timing to buy and sell what you have to work with.

When you're selling something, don't sell in bulk. Don't sell a gallon of alcohol, sell a pint at a time.

Staying alive in regards to bartering

Your biggest concerns should be keeping a low profile and avoiding scams. Keeping a low profile means never showing your wealth, and acting as impoverished as the next guy.
Scams are found even in today's market. Look at all the nasty fillers they put in food products, hell even baby food has fillers. They will not care, they will do anything they can even if it means you dying to get a leg up. Look for things that are canned, sealed and haven't been tampered with.

I'm sure I haven't covered it all, but I know a lot of younger preppers like myself feel powerless to the situation. Even if it means buying a pack of lighters, it's a step forward.

militia
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP