Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The Top Three Affordable SHTF Guns
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Looking to buy a gun? Low budget? You're in luck.

I'm making this thread with the intent you'll come back to it as a resource. So to make both the skimmers and the serious buyers happy, I'll attempt to keep it sweet.

We're not all made of money, and we're not about to compromise on reliability or performance. After all, when you need it most, your life or the life of your loved ones will be depending on it. But you already knew that.

You could buy a low end commercial rifle. As this would generally be good for hunting or sport shooting, these weapons by and large are not battle worthy. They're sensitive to the elements, a small amount of debris in the action could disable your weapon. Not to mention the fact a good dinger could compromise it as well.
This is not acceptable.

*Not dissing all commercial rifles either, as you'll read below*

You could buy an AR or AK variant.
Unless you find a great deal, don't expect top quality models for under $600. Most will be made in China, everything else made in China sucks so would you expect different in the gun world?
You may be lucky enough to find a decent AK variant, however they lack long range accuracy and the ammo isn't as readily available in the states. It's also not cheap enough for stockpile under a strict budget.

What are we supposed to do?

I'd like to introduce you to a little term called MILSURP. It would remind one of syrup, but this stands for Military Surplus.
There are numerous advantages to buying Military Surplus gear, especially firearms. They're in high abundance and perform under the worst conditions. They've been tested in greater volume than you would ever find in a commercial rifle. In short, they're made to last.
The average life expectancy of a fresh barrel from a $200 Mosin Nagant is 10x that of even the high end commercial rifle, give or take. They're made to be fired repeatedly for hours without fail. Pretty much, the only things that go wrong with the old rifles are the extractor, striker and striker spring which can be bought for cheap and should always be kept in your Bug Out Bag.

*Take note*
I'm not saying all of the surplus guns are fantastic, but when it all comes down to it these guns are the best you'll get for the money. They are also the most durable firearms available to the public. In the unpredictability of long term battle, I'd choose them over any other.

* Side note *

You can find extremely reliable, quality shotguns for under $300 or less. However, I'd advise against it as a primary SHTF weapon due to it's limited range. When the dust settles, it's the sniper that will rule the streets and hills. You could argue in war, most firefights break out between 50-400 yards. I'd remind you a shotgun isn't good past 50, and a good survivalist should take out his enemy before they're ever an imminent threat. For close engagements and home protection, a sidearm should be utilized.

Our budget in mind... $400 or less.

Your popular options in the world of MILSURP :

( #1 The Mosin Nagant )

Recently, the Mosin Nagant has been the choice of low income preppers worldwide. It's one of the longest serving military rifles in existence. Born in Russia in 1891, this ugly beast has been doing the job since then, and is still in action today. It's among the longest serving military rifles in history, Being used in every major war since it's birth.

To add to it's reputation, it was used by a sniper known as Vasily Zaitsev. In case you haven't heard, this man was responsible for the stand off and eventual repulsion of the Third Reich in Stalingrad. Racking up a mind blowing 250+ kills in just a few months, He created such fear among the troops, Hitler personally sent in the most prestigious marksman in the Reich to kill the man. The most epic sniper standoff in history ensued, guess who won?

Ammo is cheap, it comes in a large 7.62 round which is easily found on the surplus market. If you can find one cheap, get a m37/38 Swiss. P/U scopes are for looks, and are expensive. For a primary I'd suggest a low magnification scope. Maybe even an ACOG.

It's known for its durability and performance regardless of maintenance. The only problem is the sticky bolt, which is an easy fix.

I have extensive experience with this gun, and will tell you.. in the right hands, it can be exceptional.

( #2 Karabiner 98k: The Wehrmacht Rifle )

A design by Mauser originating in 1898. This rifle saw combat in the second world war and is still in service for smaller countries. This weapon was made for Nazi Germany, and later rights were bought by the Soviets. All bygones be bygones, this is one hell of a rifle. Deadly accurate, durable, moderately powerful and pretty much the quality you'd expect from the old Mausers.

It has seen limited use compared to it's competitors, so there is not as much to say about it. I've shot these before, and can tell you it's a great rifle. With the right glass, this rifle will easily break the 600 yard line with flying colors.
e
The 7.92×57mm Mauser Ammunition is moderately priced. It is very powerful, and has excellent long range capabilities. It will also penetrate walls, armor, vehicles and whatever else you deem is in need of some ventilation.

If you're worried about ammo availability and pricing, you may consider a 308 conversion. Choice is yours.

( #3 The Soviet SKS-45 )

This is one of the last of a generation of firearms before the age of the assault rifle. It served extensively in WW2 and onto Viet Nam. It was massively produced in China in the fifties and labeled the "Type-56". As we know, fully automatic rifles are horrendously expensive and the process of getting one is grueling. Some argue this is the best MILSURP SHTF rifle available due to the fact it's Semi-Auto capable and still had longish range capabilities.

Another design in it's favor is the ease of which you can modify it to take high capacity magazines. As well as the ease in which you can put on add-ons. The mounted bayonet is also a cool addition to this rifle

The first drawback is the ammunition. It fires a small 7.62×39mm round, not suitable for long range engagements. It's also uncommon in the US and is expensive.

Another setback is there have been reports of barrel overheating. I haven't witnessed this, so it could be the use of particular styles of ammunition used.

Overall it's a great gun. The Semi-Auto feature is a real plus, the conversion to take a high capacity magazine would be like pumping grampa up with steroids, then giving him bath salts. Crazy shit man.

I could go on all night about these old rifles, but I believe I've gotten the point across. So there you have it. All the tools you'll need to move forward... If you catch my drift. militia
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP