Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject SoftwareDefinedRadio vs Old school handhelds? Anyone
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message So I recently have read a lot on the Baofeng handheld radios, and have seen my dads old collection of HAM stuff when moving before. It seems like a lot of gear just to get in communication with someone - what do you all think, or know about SDR that you could open up the world to a beginner? I am eyeing the HackRF one project, and might pre-order it once I learn a bit more.

Basically the HackRF is a USB powered PCB that can transmit or recieve at half duplex (I do know some IT\technical wireless information), at basically any frequency. Sure, maybe if SHTF and you are out away from civillization, you can bring a battery pack or what have you.. but you can accomplish this:

[link to www.youtube.com (secure)]

That is full fledged linux running what I am guessing is GNUradio, with the HackRF attached via a microusb to usb adapater. Neat stuff!
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP