Users Online Now: 1,748 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 11,161
Pageviews Today: 17,055Threads Today: 12Posts Today: 96
12:08 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Sandy Hook: Problematic EMS/LE response times AKA 9:40 final shot is bunk
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Probably shouldn't combine these two concepts, but...I'm reading the VA Tech report again, which states:

9:42 a.m. The first 9-1-1 call reporting
shots fired reaches the VTPD. A message is
sent to all county EMS units to staff and
respond.

As far as I can tell, this is the first Newtown use of the word ambulance that day in the official response:

9:40:03
Dispatch (Nute), faint: Ambulances requested to stage Methodist Church, Sandy Hook Center; ambulances and (louder) medics, you are requested to stage Methodist Church, Sandy Hook Center; I will need two ambulances at this time."
Newtown Fire & Police 201212140813-441506-7623

The VA Tech report implies that emergency medical services were notified immediately; if indeed the above transmission is the first Newtown request for ambulances, it means Newtown waited nearly five minutes before alerting EMS.

Just curious; it seems to me that 1) immediately alerting EMS for an entire county vs. 2) not alerting anyone for 5 minutes is a potentially significant difference.

One immediate thought is that one man (Nute) seemed to be handling much of the 1) 911 calls, 2) police dispatch, 3) EMS dispatch and 4) non-emergency calls.

But, even more questions:

A2 didn't reach staging (Sandy Hook Center, United Methodist, 92 Churchill Rd) until 9:46:13. Only 0.7 miles from school, but given the (later obvious) road blockage potential, and availability of a perfectly good fire station parking lot, why stage them so far away?

At 9:46:47, dispatch immediately requests A2 and A3 to re-stage at the Sandy Hook Fire Department.

A2 and A3 then reach the new staging area at 9:49:00 and 9:49:22, respectively.

It took 6 minutes to get rigs staffed and staged at the first location, and another 2.5 minutes to get them to the second staging area.

Newtown's only two working ambulances weren't at the FD until 13-14 minutes after the first 911 call.

This is just an exploratory thread; maybe the sequence of events is normal and explainable. But I don't think it dawned on me, really, that the ambulances weren't even physically capable of entering the scene until 9:49:22 a.m.

My immediate questions are:

1) Why wasn't EMS called for 5 minutes (or was it?)
2) Why not stage at the FD immediately?
3) Why was A1 out of commission?
4) Does it matter how late EMS was called, given that at 9:59:13, ten minutes later, Nute was still telling A2 and A3 not to proceed to the scene?

Think about THAT though--the shooter was DEAD at 9:40:03? It took over 17.5 minutes for police to 1) find a dead man in the one hall filled with gunsmoke and dead bodies several feet from the perp and 2) beckon the first ambulance to the scene?

17.5 minutes?

And at 9:59:13, almost twenty minutes after the shooter stopped shooting, Nute was still telling ambulances NOT to enter the scene?

Damn. Have to go make supper. Bad timing (ironically).

9:40:03 final shot is bunk.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP