Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject So? Whats your plan?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Over the years there have a number of threads on what to pack in you BOB. A few of us GLPers say we have a plan, so I figure I would ask the question.

Do you have a plan?

A simple yes/no/I'm not going to say is enough.

Here is an easy guide to help you plan or refine your plan.

In all honesty you need multiple plans as a single plan will not work in all situations. So lets make two.

Plan 1 - Shelter in place. Are you in a secure location? If so, how do you lock/bar you doors and windows to help prevent looters or buy you time to defend your location? You have enough food? A source of water (don't expect your faucets to work)?

When you shelter in place you have to take a number of things into consideration. Food, water, waste disposal (human waste too), security, and exit strategy to start with.

For food, how much do you have, I suggest 2 weeks per person at a minimum for a SiP. Do you have a way to get more by looting/hunting/trapping? So you have the skills to hunt or trap. What about a garden?

Water is the same as food. How much do you have. You need water for drinking/cleaning/hygiene. 1 gallon a day per person is the minimum for 2 weeks. Is there an alternate source you can get water that can be made potable? How about multiple sources.

How do you dispose of your waste? I am not just talking garbage but also your human and animal waste. The local dumpster may not work for long and you will not want to store it in your house or shelter for very long.

Security, how do you travel to your water source, take out the trash, recon the area? What about securing the doors and windows? Will your current plan buy you enough time to defend your home or area?

Finally an exit plan. How do you vacate your shelter? Where do you go, what do you take? How do you plan to get there? When do you leave? Are you forced out? All of these questions must be answered. If you are with other people where do you meet up if separated? Who carries what? Otherwise you are trapped.

Plan 2 - On the go. This plan is much harder than you think. Some basic things to remember. If you are carrying to much or it is to heavy, it is likely useless. If you do not know how to use an item, it is useless.

There are a number of threads on what and how to pack, this thread is not for that. The questions you have to answer are: Where am I going? Do I have a way to purify water? Can I defend myself? How do I get to where i am going? Am I going Nomad (No plan of action)?

If you are going somewhere have multiple ways of getting there. Bicycle, car/truck, shoe leather express, kayak or boat, are all good ways to travel. Most likely it will be a combination of ways. Know your route and have two or three alternate routes. Avoid large cities. Small towns may or may not help. Depending on what is causing you to bug out, may well determine how you travel as well as how far you can go.

Hope this helps. Maybe if time permits I will add more. Until then I will answer questions if I can.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP