Users Online Now: 2,178 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,132,274
Pageviews Today: 1,533,944Threads Today: 395Posts Today: 6,304
12:23 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Would any of you consider working in China (Feedback needed please)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I am a British man and have been in Beijing for 3 years. I started as a teacher for the Beijing Foreign Studies University before being promoted to teacher trainer and then foreign teacher manager. Along the way I had heard many stories about foreign teachers being treated unfairly and dishonestly so I decided to partner up with a recruitment agency to help foreign teachers find the perfect jobs for themselves.

I figured that sharing some of my ideas of GLP would be a good start with my business because not only are you guys some of the most blunt and candid people possible, but you're also the masters of internet rumours, fear mongering and armchair journalism. Your concerns about coming to China would represent the deepest, darkest concerns that the average westerners would have about coming out here.

Teaching English in China is fantastically paid (starting salary is 1,700USD per month but the cost of living is so cheap here that you could easily save 1,100 of it). After my first year I was awarded a raise to 2,700USD per month for a 36 hour work week. If you have a degree and are over 24 then China is your oyster.

However, lots of people have concerns about the western media perpective of China and I would like to help understand what would really stop someone taking an opportunity like this.

As an extra bonus for English teachers that I recruit, i provide the following but I would love to know if there was anything else that you would recommend:

• Prepaid SIM card and Transport Card
• Accident in the workplace insurance.
• Training for your work placement.
• Chinese language crash courses
• Chinese Calligraphy and Artwork Taster Classes
• Visits to iconic destinations in Beijing such as the Great Wall, The Summer Palace and the Forbidden City.
• Taster classes in Chinese Cooking.
• Taster classes in Kung Fu or Wu-Shu.
• Networking parties, dinners and drinks.
• Factory visits to see where your western products come from and to try your hand at haggling for various products with your new Chinese language skills.
• Tours of the inner city such as the Hutongs and 798 Art District.
• Visits to shows such as the Beijing Opera and Shaolin Kung Fu.

Thanks for reading this. I would really appreciate any feedback whatsoever and would be willing to answer any questions that you may have about what life in China is really like.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP