Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject GLP Automotive: No Crank Condition
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Alright Ladies, let's put on our thinking caps...

1993 Oldsmobile Regency. 3.8L.

A few days ago I noticed the starter was turning over slowly. So I thought to myself, "Welp, I'll need to charge my battery soon. Might need to get a new one even."

Yesterday I got stranded in the city. The starter was barely turning over, then stopped altogether. Friend came to jump me. Nothing. Bought a new battery. Nothing.

No click sound from the starter when turning the key. Silence. However, all the lights in the dash do 'respond' like theyre supposed to when starting the engine. So I don't think it's an ignition switch problem. But I don't know for sure...

Possible causes:

Neutral Safety Switch - I don't think it's this, since the switch would either be "open" or "closed" ... no "in-between" like I experienced with the starter gradually slowing down to nothing.

Fuses and relays: same as above

Starter - It doesn't seem to me that it was frozen (dead), just that it wasn't getting enough juice- maybe indicating the starter solenoid?

Anyway, I've looked over this tutorial [link to troubleshootmyvehicle.com] and will be testing things after I get it towed home. But while I'm in town, before towing it, I'll be near the auto parts store. It would be helpful to buy a replacement part for the most likely problem while I'm there, since I have limited mobility.

So based on the above, what do you think?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP