Users Online Now: 2,071 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 645,034
Pageviews Today: 1,123,558Threads Today: 468Posts Today: 7,893
01:32 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject EPA Spills At Least 3 Million Gallons Of Mine Waste Into River In Colorado Turning It Orange Toxic Sludge Has Now Crossed Into New Mexico
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Update's:

"Officials from the Environmental Protection Agency said Sunday that the Gold King Mine discharged an estimated 3 million gallons of contaminated water, three times the amount previously believed.

The mine continues to discharge 500 gallons per minute, EPA Region 8 administrator Shaun McGrath said in a teleconference call Sunday afternoon, but the polluted water is being contained and treated in two ponds by the site of the spill near Silverton, Colo."

- [link to www.usatoday.com]

"Toxic waste, including arsenic and lead, which seeped into a river in southwest Colorado, has now crossed the state border into New Mexico. More than 550 gallons per minute are entering the water flow system according to the Environmental Protection Agency, which caused the spill.

The agency says it should have the results of samples undergoing lab testing soon, so they can find out just how contaminated the river has become. Aside from lead and arsenic, federal officials say the spill also contains, cadmium, aluminum, copper and calcium.

High levels of arsenic can cause blindness, paralysis and cancer, while lead poisoning can create muscle and vision problems in adults and can be fatal for children."

- [link to www.rt.com (secure)]

EPA Spill 1
EPA Spill 2

"The Environmental Protection Agency is warning residents to keep away from a river in Colorado after accidentally spilling mine waste water into it.

The EPA was investigating the abandoned Gold King Mine on Wednesday together with the state Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety, when they triggered the release of the waste into Cement Creek, a tributary of the Animas River in San Juan County.

Ironically, the initial goal was to find a safe way to pump out the wastewater and treat it.

Some one million gallons of wastewater is estimated to have been discharged during the incident. The spill turned water in the river bright orange."

Read More: [link to www.rt.com (secure)]

lol
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP