Users Online Now: 1,051 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 164,969
Pageviews Today: 279,471Threads Today: 85Posts Today: 1,732
04:07 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Convention Rules Change by Ted Cruz has serious chance of Ending Trump's run at convention, 1000 delegates on-board!,
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Unconventional #28: How this Colorado history teacher and 400 of her fellow delegates are planning to block Trump in Cleveland

One week ago, the Washington Post reported that dozens of Republican convention delegates had hatched “a new plan” to block a stumbling Donald Trump in Cleveland by adding a “conscience clause” to the convention’s rules.

As regular Unconventional readers know, there is a convincing case to be made — and in his new e-book Unbound, Rules Committee member Curly Haugland of North Dakota makes it — that Republican convention delegates are already technically free to nominate whomever they want in Cleveland, despite the impression that they are bound by the results of the primary votes in each state.

A conscience clause would make this freedom explicit by saying that every delegate is allowed to vote his or her conscience on the first ballot — even if state laws or party rules say otherwise.

At first, this new “Dump Trump” faction was fairly small. Roughly 30 delegates from 15 states participated in a conference call last Thursday night. Since then, however, the unlikely campaign appears to have picked up steam. A second conference call on Sunday night attracted a claimed 1,000 participants, and this week, both the RNC and Trump have begun to fight back with delegate strategies of their own.

The group that started all this commotion calls itself Free the Delegates. Its founder — and self-proclaimed “loudmouth” in chief — is Kendal Unruh. She is a history teacher, a born-again Christian, a Rules Committee member, and a former Ted Cruz supporter from Colorado. On Thursday, she hopped on the phone with Unconventional to discuss how Free the Delegates came together, why she is “anybody but Trump” — and what exactly she’s planning to do in Cleveland.

(Hint: If Unruh’s conscience clause dies, she has a Plan B. And a Plan C.)

Unconventional: How did Free the Delegates begin?
Kendal Unruh: It began with me and the other Colorado Rules Committee member, Guy Short, grousing about how we didn’t even want to go to the convention anymore after Cruz dropped out. But once we went through the grief process, we started talking about our options. We discussed various types of rules we could pass. Eventually, we settled on the idea of a conscience clause.

By that time, I had heard Curly on YouTube. I’d heard him on CNN. I read his book as soon as it came out, and I was like, “Eureka!” [Laughs] This is my eighth convention. We have been deceived. I’ve always had the power to unbind myself — I just never knew it. I had the kryptonite, but I’d been told it was glass.

Mitt Romney wasn’t your first choice, but you accepted him. Same with many other Republican nominees before him. Why do you suddenly want to unbind yourself? What’s different this time?
I’m a grassroots activist. I’ve been a grassroots activist for 30 years. I’ve always been against the establishment. And, honestly, that’s why I was initially amused with Donald Trump — because he was breaking down the walls of the establishment. I was thrilled. But then the bloom wore off the rose.

Why?
I’ll tell you when he slapped my blinders off: when he mocked the reporter with disabilities. That was a game changer for me. I am the mom of a son who died of his disabilities. I believe every single life is sacred. Having worked with families that have disabilities, having been in those circles, there is no variation with me. You do not mock people with handicaps.

May I ask what your son’s disability was?
Sure. He had dilated cardiomyopathy, which is a heart condition. He also had a form of autism. Back then — this was 15 years ago — we didn’t have nearly as much information as we have now. He died at 6. He was three weeks shy of his 7th birthday. That’s why Trump’s actions triggered a mother lion instinct in me. And then came all his subsequent acts of extreme prejudice and racism.

There were 30 people on your first conference call last Thursday. A few days later, you had another call with — you claim — 1,000 participants. Where did that surge of interest come from?
We started driving the media. And we started organizing. We got a key group of people in place. We are activists. We are not just laypeople who have never done this before. Our people have organized and run campaigns; they are elected officials. We’re active in the party. This is not our first rodeo.

For instance, we were the ones who won all of the Colorado delegates for Cruz. We worked extraordinarily hard with our own time and treasure. We reached out to thousands of voters to get them to support us as delegates. And it wasn’t one election and one group of voters. It was five, from the local level up to the state convention. So, it wasn’t an easy process. We can do this.

Can you quantify how much support you currently have among the delegates?
In one week, we’ve gotten commitments from 400 delegates and alternates. In fact, we have more than 400 — the others just aren’t ready to go public yet. We have two different spreadsheets: people who will go public and people who will not. But we have their votes.

We have a massive undercurrent of people who do not want this nominee. People who want to be the firewall — the last line of defense against the destruction of the United States as we know it. And their ranks are only growing.

What do you mean by you “have” them?
I mean they are Never Trump. They are a coalition of Cruz, [John] Kasich, [Marco] Rubio and [Scott] Walker supporters who have put their names in our database and pledged that they will not be casting their vote for Donald Trump on the first ballot — no matter what.

Do you need your conscience clause to pass in order for them to do that? Or are they willing to vote against Trump regardless?
They will vote against Trump even if the rule doesn’t pass.

So, why are you proposing a conscience clause?
We believe the delegates are already unbound. But there is a group of delegates out there that I’m going after, and I know them well because I’ve been active for 30 years. They are the grandmas. The rule followers. They’ve been working for the party. They’ve been walking precincts and licking stamps. But they aren’t outliers, like me. They don’t like to rabble-rouse. The idea of unbinding makes them uncomfortable. The Republican Party tends to have a lot of these people.

When pressure is being put on them by the delegation chair, or the state chair, or their congressman, or their RNC committee member — fill in the blank — the conscience clause will give them something tangible to point to. “Here is an RNC convention rule that says I can do this.” It’s their permission slip. People need that.

But you don’t?
No. No matter how much pressure is applied, I’m going to be philosophically motivated to do what I’m doing. Actually, the more you apply pressure, the more I’m going to do the opposite. That’s what’s reflected in the 400 delegates we have so far. Now we need the grandmas to join us.

What progress have you made since that big conference call on Sunday?
We’ve set up a PAC. People wanted to donate money. We’ve also set up a legal defense fund. We had a lot of lawyers contact us and say, “We will defend any of these delegates.” We are networking all of those lawyers together. We have some of the smartest minds in the country working with us. I’m just blown away. They understand we’re losing our party. And they understand that if nothing changes, we’re going to lose this election.

RNC spokesman Sean Spicer has said Free the Delegates is “nothing more than a media creation and a series of tweets.”
Right. Why did they have a conference call about it then? Why did they pay to have the delegates polled to see if they support us or not? One of my fellow Rules Committee members got a phone call from a pollster asking where he stood on this. Don’t tell me they’re not worried.

The Trump campaign certainly seems to be concerned. News just broke that they’ve started to organize against you.

[link to www.yahoo.com (secure)]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP