Users Online Now: 980 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 210,154
Pageviews Today: 344,278Threads Today: 109Posts Today: 2,090
04:34 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Correct procedure for informing a police officer you are carrying a lawfully concealed weapon
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Because I lurv you and the fact you are engaging in constitutionally protected rights and taking responsibility for your safety in Obamas brave new world ( order ).

Police officer : License , registration and proof of insurance please .

You: ( Place your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel if driving. If you are a passenger place your hands on the dashboard. If you have passengers instruct them to do the same.)

Officer at this time I would like to inform you for both of our safety I am holding a valid conceal carry permit and am currently concealing a firearm , what do you want me to do ?

Then you simply sit there and wait for his commands.

It is important you open with you are carrying a valid conceal carry permit . Don't ever say " officer I am concealing a firearm " with the intentions of telling him you have a permit to carry it second.

Al he hears is "I have a gun "

So make sure you inform him of your valid permit first.

Second , he may have elevated adrenaline levels when you inform him you are concealing a firearm as not all officers react the same way . Some do not want you to have that right and don't like the fact you can carry a firearm . So , if he begins to yell commands remain calm . Listen to what he is saying and only move when commanded. NO VOLLUNTARY ACTIONS like reaching for your wallet UNLESS you have been instructed to do so and then inform the officer of the pocket it is in and you are complying with his command BEFORE you attempt to reach for it so he knows what exactly is occurring .

Most cops like the fact you are helping them do their job by taking responsibility for your own safety lawfully carrying . But some don't . So never expect the same behavior from the cop twice .

That is route one. Second option.
This is markedly less safe for all but depending on the state you live in ( check for yourself ) is an option . Cops don't like knowing you have a lawfully or unlawfully concealed firearm by patting you down or by even asking you if you have a gun on you . So a courtesy notification at the beginning of a stop is always best imho .

Second option : Non disclosure. If your weapon is well concealed and your state law does not require disclosure You can lawfully just not mention your lawfully concealed firearm

This would be most helpful in situations you are 99% sure the cop won't be doing a roadside investigation asking you if you have a gun .

Situation like this would be if you have a broken taillight and the person carrying is not the driver. The police may ask for your ID if he does give it to him if you're going this route. Don't give the cop ANY shit . If you smart off or start reciting civil rights and 4th amendment this may trigger a roadside investigation in which you ARE LAWFULLY REQUIRED to tell the officer you have a firearm if asked .

If that happens you are in danger. Now the cop is going to see you as a person that didn't give a courtesy notification and doesn't care about his safety / piece of mind. No good.

In this scenario.

Officer : 4th amendment ? What , are you a lawyer now ? Sir , please step out of the car. Do you have any guns , bombs , aircraft in your vehicle ? ( they add bombs and aircraft to see if you laugh or maintain a rigid nervous composure to see if you may have something to hide. )

You : ( You now want to extend your arms out to your side away from your body. You want your hands as far away from the gun as possible when you now inform him standing in front of you that you have a gun . You ARE in the danger zone at this point.

Wouldn't it have been easier to notify him with your hands on the wheel in a submissive/neutral body position ?)

Sir , I am holding a valid conceal carry permit and am concealing a firearm on my person . what do you want me to do .

Now you calmly wait for instructions and be ready for his nervous adrenaline filled screaming of commands at this point cause you are both in a neutral/offensive position because you are squared off depending on your position / proximity to each other . Don't panic . Try to listen to the screaming for the commands .

Then slowly and deliberately follow his commands.

HOWEVER , it is always best to notify him of your carry status when your hands are on the wheel/dash and in a non threatening seated position . So just do it . You are legal and have nothing to worry about and he will probably be more at ease because you notified him right away showing concern for him and yourself.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP