Users Online Now: 1,580 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 127,036
Pageviews Today: 219,874Threads Today: 69Posts Today: 1,378
02:54 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Proposed North Dakota Law Seeks to Legalize Accidentally Running Over Protesters Who Block Roadways
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message [link to ktla.com]

This makes my day, I wrote letter in support of running these protestors over as I have said we have only one main road, and they keep blocking it like the idiots they are. Thank God I live this place.

Lawmakers in that state are set to vote Friday on a bill that would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road, one of several actions in Republican-controlled states to discourage disruptive protests.

Rep. Keith Kempenich introduced the bill, which states that if a driver “unintentionally” causes injury or death to someone blocking traffic on a roadway, then the driver will not be liable for damages.

Kempenich said he was spurred to act after Dakota Access Pipeline protesters last year moved to block public roadways, scaring some of his constituents.

“It turned from a protest to basically terrorism on the roadways, and the bill got introduced for people to be able to drive down the roads without fear of running into somebody and having to be liable for them,” he told CNN.

It’s not just North Dakota that’s cracking down on protesters. Other communities that have endured multiple or prolonged protests are fighting back by trying to put similar laws on the books.

In recent weeks legislatures in Minnesota, Indiana and Iowa have moved to add laws specifically targeting roadway blocking. The proposed bills have dismayed the American Civil Liberties Union, which fears they would trample First Amendment rights.

Kempenich argued that any drivers who intentionally targeted protesters would still be prosecuted.

“If people stay off the roadway, it has nothing to do with you,” he said. “[But] if you’re on the roadway trying to intimidate some people, then you’ve got an issue.”
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP