Users Online Now: 2,072 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,594,085
Pageviews Today: 2,323,904Threads Today: 625Posts Today: 13,012
06:55 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject 56-Year-Old US Wheelchair Bound Woman Tasered By Police 10 Times For Two Minutes, Dies
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Report: Police Shocked Woman 10 Times
Woman Dies After Taser Gun Deployed 10 Times, Family Files Suit

POSTED: 7:15 am EST February 13, 2007
UPDATED: 7:24 am EST February 13, 2007

GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Fla. -- The family of a 56-year-old woman, who died shortly after officers used a Taser gun to subdue her, said it wants answers and plans to file suit, according to WJXT-TV.

Emily Delafield died in April 2006 after a confrontation with police at her home in Green Cove Springs.

The day of the incident, Delafield's family had called 911 and said the their loved one, who was in a wheelchair, had armed herself with two knives and a hammer and was threatening to kill them.

Investigators said officers tried to take her in to custody peacefully, but were unsuccessful because Delafield would not give up her weapons.

A report states that the officers consulted with the family, asking them if it was OK to use their Taser guns and the family gave the officers permission.

However, the woman's nephew, Ryan Delafield, said the officers should have never asked the family because he said they are the experts.

He said his aunt never should have been shocked with the Taser gun, especially not 10 times, WJXT-TV reported.

"When I found out that she'd been Tasered 10 times for two minutes, it's almost like, was she on death row? I don't know if I were to get Tasered 10 time for two minutes, and I think I'm a pretty healthy individual, I don't know if I'd survive that," Delafield said.

According to a police report, one of the officers used her Taser gun nine times for a total of 160 seconds and the other officer discharged his Taser gun once for a total of no more than five seconds.

A medical examiner found Delafield died from hypertensive heart disease and cited the Taser gun shock as a contributing factor. On her death certificate, the medical examiner ruled Delafield's death a homicide.

The division chief for the Clay County State Attorney's Office reported that the officers were justified in using their Taser guns on Delafield.

The report goes on to state, "the officers could have opted not to Tase Ms. Delafield with two separate Tasers. Additionally, the officers could have decided upon a different approach once they realized that their Tasers were not causing Ms. Delafield to drop her weapons."

Family members said the Taser gun use was excessive and they have hired an attorney to help search for answers.

"I want answers," Delafield said.

He said he would never forget the night he received a phone call telling him officers had used a Taser gun on his aunt and she had later died at the Orange Park Medical Center.

"We're going to follow where the evidence leads, but right on the face of it … that's pretty shocking," said the family's attorney, Rick Alexander.

The family's attorney said he would be filing suit in state and federal court.

[link to www.local6.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP