Users Online Now: 1,955 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 628,972
Pageviews Today: 1,061,139Threads Today: 388Posts Today: 7,155
12:09 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Official Thread for Aldous Huxley's Last Book - 'Island' - Never Before Discussed Here on GLP
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message There has never been a thread posted to GLP in regards to this book. Many threads have been posted of his other works, specifically 'Brave New World'. I'd like to designate this thread for discussion of 'Island'. Anyone who has read it is encouraged to participate, and I hope many others who haven't read it will pick the book up; it's a true masterpiece.

The book deals with the reality of corruption, wisdom, materialism, education, government, freedom, nature, industry and the important role of firsthand experience in all facets of life. It's definitely not a book for the close-minded, as they will have a hard time grasping the concepts which are introduced. It is however, a must-read for anyone seeking understanding of our place on this earth as both individuals and society as a whole. The book presents a variety of situations in which deep thought, knowledge and understanding is expressed in contradiction to shallow, basic and simplistic thought.

The book is fiction, and could be compared to something like Orwell's 1984, if only for the fact that it teaches very valuable lessons. It's more spiritually and intellectually complete than 1984 yet offers understanding in a similar fashion for those able to see its truths that plague the mentality of society.

I will continue with some examples of quotes and lessons that I learned from this book as this thread begins to shape itself. For now, I'm more curious of how many of you have been lucky enough to read 'Island', and what your thoughts are on it.

Of every book I have ever read - and I've read a lot - this book is more truthful, wise, enlightening, and ahead of its time than anything I've seen before. The messages are many; they are concise and remarkably correct. The ideas offered within its pages are not all new, yet nearly all of them are radically accurate.

Published in 1962, this utopian novel presents concepts that may be far-fetched to your average working-class commoner, yet simultaneously indisposable to the average thinker or scholar.

Society as a whole is led to believe that our current system, for the most part, is functional and effective. Island proves that this couldn't be more false.

What has happened to us? How did we lose our love for learning, our connection with nature, our will to experience, and our drive for true self-understanding and betterment?

I personally and confidently say that just as Orwell's 1984, Aldous Huxley's Island is more true and relevant today than it ever was. We can learn an immense amount from this book. It deeply reinforced and verified my understandings of our global/national/local issues and also gave me new insight about what we are missing in our lives and how we think and percieve incorrectly in many basic (and critically important) situations.

Anyway, I'd like to get into some discussion and/or just hear what others have to say. I'm afraid that this book has been highly under-rated and disregarded for no reason other than it contains a great deal of very real and very insightful knowledge. I hope there are a few of you here interested in talking about it. If not, that's fine and I'll eventually get around to creating some content on this thread from the ideas and teachings within the book itself.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP