Users Online Now: 1,754 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 375,196
Pageviews Today: 602,016Threads Today: 185Posts Today: 3,556
07:39 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject NAACP: Jerry Jones' anthem comments are 'tone-deaf,' violate Cowboys' constitutional rights
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message [link to sportsday.dallasnews.com (secure)]

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) issued a response to Jerry Jones on Tuesday after the Cowboys owner said he'd sit players who don't stand for the national anthem.

"This is not an issue about our flag, this is an issue about police brutality, racism, and the ability of members of the NFL whose communities are disproportionately impacted by police misconduct to peacefully say enough," said NAACP interim President and CEO Derrick Johnson. "This is not simply a Black issue due to the number of white people also killed by police, but we know historically that when justice occurs for African Americans, all other members of our society benefit as well."
Jones was the first NFL owner to declare that players will be disciplined for protesting during the anthem when he did so Sunday after the Cowboys' loss to the Green Bay Packers. He said Tuesday that his intention is to remove the Cowboys from the debate.

"I want them [the players] to have the ammunition to tell anybody that asks them to do anything otherwise or demonstrate during that period of time, that 'I don't get to play if I do that,'" Jones said. "This is a workplace issue. I don't want there to be any misunderstanding as to where I want the personnel of the Cowboys to be when we're at the No. 1 workplace we have, which is the field and the sideline on gameday. I want to do everybody a service, as I should in leading the team, and let's be really clear about what our expectations are."
The NAACP's senior director of corporate affairs said Jones not only is being insensitive toward his players, but also he's violating their constitutional rights.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP