Users Online Now: 2,167 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 905,170
Pageviews Today: 1,691,921Threads Today: 822Posts Today: 14,624
06:54 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject To Understand Paul - His Letters Don't Tell Us All of What He Originally Preached - Bible Study
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Peter WARNED about taking Paul out of context.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

On one end of the extremism, some claim that the gospel comes thru Paul - Paulinism.

[link to en.wikipedia.org (secure)]

This is wrong - as the true author of Salvation is Jesus' Father - God Himself.

On the other end of the scale... some folks say that Paul wasn't even an Apostle.

The truth is in the middle.

All of Paul's writings are letters to churches where he had already preached the Gospel.

Since the letters were written to address issues at the churches, we don't get to read ALL of
what Paul had actually taught when he had been there physically.

Many Christians believe that repentance isn't necessary, and quote Paul as the source of "faith only".

Is that really the case though, or was Paul influenced to preach less about repentance?

Here, in Acts, in the earliest days of Paul's preaching, this happened.

Acts 26:19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to
the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
21 For these causes the get lost caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me.

So is it possible that the incident lessened Paul's teachings of repentance?

I believe it's possible, as Paul did mention repentance from time to time.

See these verses. The first one is before the King Agrippa incident.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the get lost, and also
to the Greeks, repentance toward God,
and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

These are after "Agrippa"...

Romans 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his
goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of
God leadeth thee to repentance?
5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath
against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

"Impenitent" can be translated as unrepentant

[link to www.biblestudytools.com (secure)]

2 Conrinthians 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance:
for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of:
but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

2 Conrinthians 12:21 And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and
that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of
the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Paul didn't baptise in water, but he "laid hands on" folks who then received the Holy Spirit.

There are modern day testimonies of people being prompted to repent etc...by the Holy Spirit.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP