Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject My Grandma Told Me Bout the Spanish Flu
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message My gram was born in 1900 and lived until 2000-she died jus two months short of 100 years old.

I used to ask her all kinds of things, since she'd seen so much happen. She knew so much interesting stuff.

She lived outside of our small town, so was probably safer than those in contact with a lot of people. She said they closed the theatre, and some of the shops. She lost a couple friends to the Spanish flu. She said they wore masks, and you saw people with them on everywhere when you went into town.

I remember her telling me how they made sausage, fried it up in patties, then put a layer in a crock, poured the grease from frying it over the layer, then fried another batch of it, layered that on top the grease, and covered IT with more grease, on and on until the 5gallon crock was full. She said they opened a layer at a time to eat those sausage patties all winter, and it stayed good. They stored it in the cellar/ basement, with no refrigeration.

I remember she told me they had no pesticides--so their solution for ants in the house was, they put a cap from a jar under the sink, filled it with sugar-water. The ants would come to it, fill up, then leave back to their homes. They would never come into the other cupboards or food left out, since they had a steady food source.

So bizarre, but it actually makes perfect sense. LOL

Please shareyour Old-time stories folks, we can learn something from them.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP