Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Question For Anybody With HVAC Knowledge
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message So I have an old AC unit but it's still chugging along. My only real problem is that is starting to get a bit low on refrigerant now that it is over a decade old and of course the EPA has decided to ban the type that goes in my unit because of 'global warming'. Yes, I actually had an HVAC tech express their own concerns to me about...global warming...when I rolled my eyes over the issue of it being banned now.

Anyways, so IIRC it's R22 refrigerant and I know that it can no longer be bought, but in the past I had a few guys tell me that it could still be filled but only by R22 that was 'reclaimed' from other older units that had failed and had some left in the system.

But now a recent guy told me that oh no, that's not right and now it can't even be added to my system and that if they remove a system with it, they have to send it to some CIA Guantanamo Bay Level Headquarters for safe disposal (being somewhat sarcastic). But long story short, they claimed it couldn't be topped off or suggested it'd cost a million dollars to do it more or less.

So does anybody know if that's really the case that R22 can no longer be added to my unit? And honestly, fuck regulations, so also do you know if it's possible to just find 'a guy' that will do it even if all the big name companies won't touch it? And obviously, I know 'the guy' wouldn't be able to just buy it, but assuming I could find someone with access to old removed units. etc

Thanks if you can let me know.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP