Users Online Now: 2,232 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 585,047
Pageviews Today: 1,013,129Threads Today: 427Posts Today: 7,128
12:28 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Parents need to stop trying to be their kids best friend.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message It's really simple. You are the parent, they are the child. Period. I see a lot of stories where the child will say "this is my mom/dad, they are my best friend". Likewise with the parents as well.
I have four kids. I am friendly with my kids and they are friendly with my. They are not my best friends nor do I strive for that to ever be the case. They would never truly grow up and move on and become independent if that were the case.
I am their teacher, their mentor, their guide. I will show them how to build a piece of furniture, fix their car or do an oil change, basic plumbing, how to properly budget their money. I do not want to be their friend. I want to be their parent.
That's why these younger generations are so screwed up. Their "parents" never wanted to be the bad guy. They never wanted to say no or take the time to teach their kids. They want to hang with their kids. Go to clubs with them. Get to know all their friends so that they can all hangout together. I know all my kids friends, so I can make sure their not worthless, good for nothings. Not so we can all do lunch.
I was once at the grocery store and I was talking with the older (my age) cashier. The topic of cell phones and kids came up. I told her that none of my school aged kids (at the time) had cell phones and that the only way they would get one was when they could pay for it themselves. She asked me how I was able to pull that one off. I answered simply, "I'm the parent and they're the kids, that's how."

Parents need to be parents not friends.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP