Users Online Now: 2,181 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 555,103
Pageviews Today: 958,502Threads Today: 410Posts Today: 6,681
11:56 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Texas Driver Responsibility Program is being Repealed!
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message The draconian surcharge program in Texas (DRP) is finally being done away with. After 16 years, this failed program has suspended over 1.4 million Texans drivers licenses, trapping low-income Texans in a ruthless cycle of debt and incarceration. Yesterday, the Texas Senate unanimously voted for HB 2048 which will do away with the program and eliminate all outstanding
surcharges.

HB still has yet to be signed by governor Greg Abbott, however even if it receives a veto from Abbott, the House and Senate can overturn the veto with another vote. If there is no veto, and the governor does not sign the bill within 10 days, the bill still becomes law & the DRP will be repealled.

[link to capitol.texas.gov (secure)]

On a related topic, Greg Abbott is personally named in a class-action lawsuit regarding the DRP. There is also a FEDERAL case ongoing in regards to the constitutionality of surcharge programs which, if successful, will require states to refund any and all surcharges ever collected.

As a Mason, my "Uncle Intel" sources have informed me that HB 2048 will WITHOUT A DOUBT become law.

My fellow Texans... The oppression is finally over!
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP