Users Online Now: 1,380 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 329,665
Pageviews Today: 518,649Threads Today: 195Posts Today: 3,189
05:48 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Support Cancer? An observation ...
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I went into the city yesterday, and it was an overcast cool day, the first after a week of 100 degree temperatures and being named the hottest spot in the nation. There were a surprising number of rallies and walks going on, and I knew they were grateful for the change of weather.

At a red light there was a motorcycle next to us, and as the light changed the man pulled ahead and I was reading his t-shirt, figuring he was off to some rally since it seemed to be the day for them. This t-shirt was for cancer awareness, and had a square design on the back with a scattering of key words written in difference fonts and sizes, and as he pulled ahead the message I received was “Support Cancer” “Cure Hope”. What the fuck? Did anyone even look at the design before approving it, or is this the message we’re supposed to accept?

And I can’t count the number of times I’ve been asked in a cashier’s line if I want to support breast cancer or >insert name here < cancer. I know they are supposed to be asking about supporting cancer awareness or research, but as I’m their hundredth customer of the day is has been shortened into, “Would you like to donate to support breast cancer?” And I respond, “No, thank you.”

Luckily I don’t watch TV, and haven’t for years, so I don’t get the “you’re gonna get cancer” message drummed into my head everyday, but I wonder how often the word cancer is mentioned on TV, and how much the lingo has changed. Words are powerful, and these messages seem to be about just accepting cancer as another stage of life.

Anyone else notice the subtle changes in the messages?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP