Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The Sun switched off for at least two weeks in the year 2009
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message This is some of what we have managed to recover from the computer found next to the mummified corpse in the cave.

17th Nov 2009;-

Drove past the supermarket and the queue to get in stretched two blocks down the road. They are only allowing 10 people to shop in the market at any one time. I've been told they are selling 1kg bags of rice for $25

18th Nov 2009;-

Now it is obvious to most that the world will not be the same even if the Sun does turn back on. Some people are laughing, some crying, most are silent. The winds are starting to blow ferociously now, as I predicted. Packing the remaining stuff in to the trailer now... must go.

20th Nov 2009;-

Holy shit!!!

The drive here was terrifying. The winds were so strong, at some points I thought the car and trailer would be blown completely off the road. The wind gusts were about 150 km/h. It is a good thing there are no trees next to the road. It is starting to get cold. There is light snow on the ground. It is about -1C outside.

I am in the cave now. Everything that has been stored here is intact, except for some soap that has been eaten by a wallaby.

21st Nov 2009;-

Drank a bottle of vodka and slept for 11 hours straight. The sun is still a red sphere in a clear dark sky. No planet Venus visible to the naked eye. Winds have abated somewhat. Temp -1C.

22nd Nov 2009;-

Unloaded most of the stuff into the cave. Snow showers every 15 minutes, sometimes blizzard like. There are now snow drifts a 3ft high. The small bats that inhabited the cave are now dead. Probably a good thing because their guano stinks like piss. The sun brightened significantly behind cloud for several hours today. Bright enough to walk around outside without a torch.

23nd Nov 2009;-

Oh great, now I have diarrhea, have to run out into the snow to blow me bowels out every couple hours. Wiping my arse with snow cause there ain't much toilet paper. Prefer to use TP for other things. I'm not sure if I should bother tossing the dead bats out, there are several hundred of them, it is getting cold in here so their carcasses might just freeze, they don't stink. Got the stove going and cooked up a quick noodle soup.

24th Nov 2009;-

Took the Short Wave radio outside repeatedly and there was nothing. FAAARK!!! Can't see what little glow there is from the sun because of thick cloud cover. Temp -2C. The wind is picking up again. Thankfully the easterlies blow over the top of this small sheltered escarpment. If the wind strengths down in Perth are anything like what are here, the city will have now been destroyed.
I am cutting these entries short to save laptop battery charge. When and if it runs out I will start using paper. I could start draining the car battery. Maybe the sun will turn on again and then I could recharge the laptop using the solar panel.

This is fucked! I wish I could be sitting in a warm house surfing the internet, buying supermarket foods. Watching television when I want to. Riding my bike when where I want to. Now my day to day life is being dictated by the forces of nature. FUCK YOU NATURE!

25th Nov 2009;-

Down to the 14th bottle of vodka. Gonna have to start slowing down or brew a wort of beer. Started the car and got it up to operational temperature. The snow is getting deeper and there is no way I can drive without chains now. I don't have chains. Several wallabies are now using the front entrance of the cave for shelter. When I walk past they don't even bother to get up, that is how weak they are. They are too afraid of me to come into the cave where it is warmer though. I might corral them into the back of the cave.
Current temp -6C. Still no SW signals.

27th Nov 2009;-

Laptop battery down to 40%
Temp -8C.
Wind gusting to 170km/h.
Still eating nice meals, hot milk chocolate and beef jerky with rice in the mornings.
Using stove to melt snow for drinking water.
Wallabies are now in the back of the cave shivering, one has died, pulled the carcass out into the snow. I might start eating him soon.
Drifts starting to cover the car.
Sun brightened for a few hours again, then back to near night.
Total cloud cover.
Feel unwell.
Back to sleep.

28th Nov 2009;-

Still feeling flue like symptoms. Gonna stay in sleeping bag. The wind is absolutely howling outside.
Temp -10C

29th Nov 2009;-

To save on the supply of beef jerky I am now having a go at the wallaby carcass outside. The thing is frozen so solid it takes ages just to cut away enough for a meal. I wish I had really good serrated knife or saw. Hey that just gave me an idea! Use the hack saw.
Hey, my brain ain't working too good at the moment. The stress, flue, vodka... it's all taking its toll on me.

30th Nov 2009;-

Snowed heavily for 12 hours straight. Had to dig a tunnel to get out of the cave. Took an exhausting walk in the soft powder snow with my torch. There appears to be snow drifts more than 10 meters deep. Temp -30C. Couldn't even find the car. Playing solitaire to pass the time away.

1st Dec 2009;-

I can't get out of the cave now. I dug a vertical tunnel 6 meters before I gave up.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP