Users Online Now: 2,276 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 773,767
Pageviews Today: 1,273,434Threads Today: 503Posts Today: 8,756
01:01 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject GOP Rep. roasts pro-TikTok Dem for saying Republicans seeking to ban platform "ain't got no swag"
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Ain't got no swag? Does Jamaal Bowman hang out with Maxine Waters and Sheila Jackson Lee?

-----

GOP Rep. roasts pro-TikTok Dem for saying Republicans seeking to ban platform 'ain't got no swag'
By Nicholas Ballasy | March 25, 2023

(justthenews.com) - Texas Republican Rep. Troy Nehls rebuked Rep. Jamaal Bowman for being flippant about the dangers TikTok poses to youth mental health after the New York Democrat attributed Republican support for a ban on the popular, Chinese-owned video sharing platform to a lack of "swag."

Currently, many Republicans in Congress and a growing number of Democrats are in favor of a nationwide ban on TikTok, for reasons ranging from national security and user data privacy to the targeting of the young with harmful content.

During a protest outside the Capitol Wednesday, Bowman, a progressive Democrat opposed to the ban, impugned the motives of ban advocates in the familiar terms of identity politics, urging Congress to "not be racist towards China and express our xenophobia when it comes to TikTok."

Bowman also took another, somewhat head-scratching, swipe at his opponents.

"Republicans ain't got no swag, that's why they want a ban," he declared.

Asked for a response Thursday, Nehls ripped Bowman for trivializing a serious issue.

"Give me a break," Nehls retorted. "What are we teenagers? What is this high school? ... Is this a popularity contest? Am I running for class president? This is serious stuff.

Nehls continued, alluding to a mother who sued TikTok last year, alleging her daughter died from imitating a dangerous stunt that the app's demographic targeting algorithm curated for her. "How would Bowman feel if we get the mother of the 10-year-old that committed suicide?" Nehls asked. "You think he's going to look her in the eyeballs like I'm looking at you and say, 'I want to talk to you a little bit about swag'? Give me a break. This is serious business."

Nehls is in favor of banning TikTok, in part, because it is owned by ByteDance, the Chinese company which has access to personal data related to the platform's millions of users.

"We have to act responsibly," Nehls said. "We have to put the American people first and their children. We must do it today. I don't see the fight here. I don't see the arguments. I don't see the argument other than the guy in the White House. He's owned by China."...

READ MORE: [link to justthenews.com (secure)]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP