Users Online Now: 2,349 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,126,096
Pageviews Today: 1,880,718Threads Today: 775Posts Today: 13,530
06:19 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject How do you cope in the age of anxiety?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I believe the age we are living in is the most difficult time period to be alive in. No matter where we turn, you have something to worry about. Not only do we have to worry about feeding, clothing, and providing shelter for ourselves, we have to worry about people across the globe that are suffering. We have to worry about the environment. We have to worry about the global economy. We have to worry about solar flares, meteor strikes, tidal waves, our extended families, our friends, and the friends of our friends. Wars, famines, aliens, college tuition, debt, illegal immigration, hodgkins disease, and oil changes.

You may not think being aware of all these events, people, places, and things matters that much to your life overall, but just the fact that you are aware of them causes stress. Before the information age, before the internet, radio, and tv, man wasn't even aware of anything outside his community or, more likely, his family unit. He had to be concerned with feeding only his family and that was basically it.

It may seem like life has become easier because of all the modern conveniences, but is it really? Instead of having more free time, we fill it with more and more activities and events. Instead of comparing the quality of our lives to just those in your immediate vicinity, our human nature causes us to compare ourselves to everyone in the world. We may feel inadequate because we were not as successful as movie stars or astronauts. We may feel jealous that our friends are having more rich life experiences than us.

I know that I see people around me going to foreign countries and getting high paying jobs and i can't help but be jealous. It's human nature to compare our looks, intelligence, athletic ability, etc. to those around us, but now we have to compare ourselves to literally EVERYONE else in the world simply because we are aware of who they are and what theyre achieving.

Facebook and Myspace are basically big popularity contests whether people admit it or not. Who has the most friends? Who is doing the coolest things? Who has the most money?

When the fuck is this going to end. The weight of the world is resting on all of us simply because we are aware of it. I firmly believe that this reality is what is causing the crushing anxiety, depression, and inadequecy that a lot of us feel. Humans perhaps were not meant to know so much? Or is this part of the ascension process, part of our journey into infinite awareness and wisdom? Who the fuck knows? I certainly don't.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP