Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject What's your favorite profanity?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I like the English language, and most of the words in it. When thinking about profanity, I think of “dirty” words, like f*ck, sh*t, c*nt, p*ss, d*mn, h*ll, etc. George Carlin’s 7 words you can’t say on TV. Words that upset my mother.

Most of those words are allowed on cable, if not broadcast, TV these days. My problem is that most of them are used so commonly that they’ve lost their ability to shock or upset anyone but the most moralistic, and/or religious people. Context matters. Things said in a tavern may not be appropriate in church, or in school.

I know they aren’t the same for Brits as they are for Americans. I know a few spanish swear words, but I rarely use them as I don’t want to embarrass myself by using them inappropriately.

Here on GLP the word “flowers” is not allowed. Does that make it profane? The “n word”, referring to african-americans seems to be profane, at least in that it shocks and upsets people who are tolerant of other words. What other individual words will get you banned?

Blood drenched, frozen tampon popsicles? Barbra Steisand? Is this the new profanity?

So what are the “new” profane words? Share the words you use when you really want to be emphatic, or you’re angry, or you want to upset your mother. Tell us about the context. Smilies, youtube clips and other examples from media work for me.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP