Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Fireball meteorite Recap of last week JAN 17-23 2009
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message jan 17 DANISH FIREBALL: A meteoroid of unknown size hit Earth's atmosphere over Danmark and Sweden last night (Jan. 17 at 1909 UT) and exploded, turning the sky "lightning blue and green." Witnesses say the fireball was brighter than a full moon, casting shadows and booming like thunder. It was visible from Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany and possibly as far away as Spain.
[link to spaceweather.com]
jan 17 another Fireball in northern Spain came in only minutes before the danish one.
[link to www.astroversum.nl]
jan 18 1836 MST Christina McMaster Dewey Arizona Magnitude -27 Color Blue, Aqua, White
[link to www.amsmeteors.org]
jan 19 California The American Meteor Society has received over two dozen reports of a brilliant fireball occurring over southern California. The event occurred at 5:33pm PST on January 18 (01:33 UT Jan 19) and was widely observed over the southern half of California, western Nevada, and western Arizona (including the Phoenix area). There are a wide range of magnitude estimates but we can safely assume this object was at least as bright as the full moon, magnitude - 13.
[link to malcs64.tigblog.org]
jan 19 NewZealand Bright light in southern skies thought to be satellite 1:04PM Monday Jan 19, 2009 Queries about a bright light in the southern skies last night have been coming into the Mount St John Observatory.A nzherald.co.nz reader, Shannon, also saw the light and said: "I'm not 100% sure what it was, but it looked like a comet or something entering through the atmosphere last night around 10.30pm to 11pm.
[link to www.nzherald.co.nz]
jan 19 Norway FIREBALL UPDATE: "Today, on Monday, Jan. 19th at 16:28 UT, a huge fireball was seen in western Norway," reports Runar Sandnes of the Norwegian Astronomical Society. "It was visible for about 5 seconds and witnesses describe it as 'breathtaking.' The meteor was last seen disintegrating over the North Sea." This marks the second time in only 48 hours that a remarkable fireball has lit up the skies of Scandinavia
[link to talk.livedaily.com]
Jan 20 2045 MST Barbara & Paul Weber Etna Wyoming Magnitude >-27 duration 8 sec color White
jan 22 Australia 22/01/09 11:31 pm Just saw a huge Meteor/Meteorite in the sky. It was fast moving but it probably lasted about 4-5secs before it fell out of view behind the next door neighbors house. It was absolutely amazing. It was huge I could see it pulsating a greeny/yellow color as it fragmented and burned up in the atmosphere. It disappeared out of view behind the neighbors house heading in an easterly direction. It literally lit up the sky
[link to forums.ski.com.au]
jan 23 Massachusetts and Rhode Island Observers are reporting a "huge, pulsating blue-green fireball" sighted within minutes of 8:48 pm EST on Jan. 23rd. It was bright enough to be seen through heavy cloud cover, according to one witness.
[link to www.spaceweather.com]

I wondered; Is there a increase ? It appears so but can unfortunately not be proven with 100% certainty. It is not at all steady science like registring earthquakes
Many meteorites remain unseen because they enter the atmosphere at daytime or in sparsely populated areas.

I gave it a try anyway with these stats
this lists observed Fireball/meteorite events primarely in USA/Canada

I filtered out all the events with Full Moon Brightness or brighter
I also counted the sunlike bright ones (mag-27);

08jan mag-13+; 24 mag-27; 5
08Feb mag-13+; 27 mag-27: 5
08Mar mag-13+; 30 mag-27: 2
08Apr mag-13+; 23 mag-27: 3
08may mag-13+; 15 mag-27: 2
08jun mag-13+; 28 mag-27: 6
08jul mag-13+; 22 mag-27: 5
08aug mag-13+; 31 mag-27: 11
08sep mag-13+; 28 mag-27: 8
08oct mag-13+; 43 mag-27: 8
08nov mag-13+; 79 mag-27: 13
08dec mag-13+; 40 mag-27: 8
390/12 32.5 76/12 6.3
09jan mag-13+: 35 mag-27: 8 (until jan 22)

To have any statistical value one should have a baseline of at least 3 years, but it's tedious to produduce these lists, maybe more later.

In this simple list one can indeed see an increase in Fireballs in the second half of 2008 compared to the first,
It can also be noticed that the 9 very bright meteorites last week are indeed a high number, but not unheard of, it happened also in november 2008.

I'll do an update to this list if someone is interested
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP