Users Online Now: 1,941 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,046,739
Pageviews Today: 2,084,877Threads Today: 883Posts Today: 18,581
10:55 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject remember Biosphere 2 ? Have you ever wondered what it was really like to live in there or what they learned from the experiments?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I've seen a couple of documentarys on Biosphere 2 , but this is a talk by one of the participants of the program,Jane Poynter, she lived in Biosphere 2 for , as she puts it, 2 years and 20 minutes.She says it totally changed her, and that the impact of what they learned will truly help us in many ways in the coming future to change our current destructive ways and transform ourselves from a biocidal society to a biophillic one- her words, my interpretive spelling LOL... I found it very interesting and informative, thought i'd pass it along :-)

[link to www.ted.com]

snipped from her Bio :-)

Jane Poynter is one of only eight people to live in Biosphere 2 for two years. In 1991, she and seven others were locked in a three-acre, hermetically-sealed environment in the Arizona desert. Nothing was allowed in or out, and everything had to be recycled. Poynter, and the rest of the team, endured dangerously low oxygen levels and constant hunger, but they survived -- something many scientists said was impossible.

After leaving Biosphere 2, Poynter went on to found Paragon Space Development Corporation, along with her former fellow biospherian and now husband, Taber MacCallum. Paragon develops technologies that might allow humans to live in extreme environments such as outer space and underwater. As president of Paragon, Poynter has had experiments flown on the International Space Station, Russian Mir Space Station and US Space Shuttle, as well as working on underwater technologies with the US Navy.

However, Poynter has not given up on her homeland -- Biosphere 1. She continues to consult on and write about sustainable development and new green technologies. In concert with the World Bank, she has worked on projects to mitigate climate change and to grow crops in typically arid and hostile regions of Africa and Central America. Through talks and appearances, she builds awareness of the fragile state of the environment. After all, she knows what it’s like to watch your biosphere begin to break down.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP