Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Muslim Model to Be Caned for Drinking Beer
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message When a Malaysian night club was busted and 32-year-old Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno was caught with a beer, she knew she was in trouble. Not because alcohol is illegal in the country -- it's not -- but because Kartika is a Muslim.

Under Sharia law -- which regulates the day-to-day life of Muslims, including politics, business, sexuality and hygiene -- consuming alcohol is a major offense. Though non-Muslim in Malaysia would be prosecuted under civil law, Kartika had to face Islamic courts.

"I accept the punishment," she said, according to a Daily Telegraph report. "I am not afraid because I was ready to be punished from day one. [The authorities] hope to use my case as a way to educate Muslims. So go ahead. I want to move on with my life."

While she did break a law, the punishment is far different from those most alcohol offenders receive: fines. In this case, prosecutor Saiful Idham Sahimi decided to make an example of the part-time model. Kartika will be -- according to Saiful -- the first woman to be caned under Islamic law, and could spend up to a week in a women's prison where the caning will take place.

So why the extreme punishment? According to Saiful this is an attempt to "educate" rather than punish, and the rattan cane used on Kartika will be lighter than the one used on men.

[link to www.slashfood.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP