|Users Online Now: 1,946 (Who's On?)||Visitors Today: 586,016|
|Pageviews Today: 2,244,292||Threads Today: 746||Posts Today: 13,756|
HOUSE PASSES SHAM ETHICS REFORM
|BUSH MUST GO |
User ID: 67500
05/04/2006 01:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
thinkprogress.org/2006/05/03/house-sham-ethics/ [link to thinkprogress.org]
BREAKING: House Passes Sham Ethics Reform
House conservatives just passed their lobbying reform bill by a narrow 217-213 [link to clerk.house.gov] vote. The Washington Post called the legislation a “sham,” “diluted snake oil” and “an insult to voters.” [link to www.washingtonpost.com] Instead of the comprehensive reform promised by lawmakers [link to www.americanprogressaction.org] in early 2006, this bill fails to reform parts of the system most in need.
A look at what this bill is missing: [link to thinkprogress.org]
– No Restrictions on Lavish Gifts: Current gift limits will remain unchanged. [link to www.washingtonpost.com]
– No Ban on Free Exotic Trips: Lawmakers will still be able to accept lavish privately-funded trips [link to www.commoncause.org] from lobbyists.
– No Increase in Lobbyist Transparency: Lobbyists can continue to pay $25,000 or $50,000 for a campaign fundraiser, with no oversight. [link to www.usatoday.com]
– No Ethics Training for Members: Ethics training will be mandatory for all congressional staff, but not for members.
– No Revolving Door Slow-Down: A companion piece of legislation to the lobbying bill would require administration officials to wait at least two years after they leave office before becoming lobbyists. But there is no legislation [link to www.thehill.com] to create a similar two-year waiting period for lawmakers.
– No Grassroots Lobbying Regulation: There are no disclosure rules [link to www.commoncause.org] “for professional lobbying firms that are retained to spend money on campaigns aimed at stimulating the public to lobby Congress, including multimillion dollar advertising campaigns.”
– No Enforcement of Existing Rules: The bill “includes no mechanism for enforcing and monitoring [link to www.commondreams.org] old and new rules.”
– Weak Earmark Reform: The bill restricts appropriations earmarks, but does not reform earmarks in tax and authorization bills. [link to www.chron.com]
Posted by Think Progress [link to thinkprogress.org] May 3, 2006 5:47 pm
For the most recent articles shared search user ID: 67500 in the Advanced GLP Search at www.godlikeproductions.com/searchuid.php [link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
'Link, Copy, Paste, & Disseminate!'
|1||Sham Jan 6th Panel Paying Staffers Double What Regular House Staffers Make – Here Are Their Salaries||06/11/22|
|2||Journalist Booted From Conference For Suggesting Michelle Obama’s White House Garden Was A Sham||03/26/18|
|3||White House Knew Obamacare Abortion Funding "Ban" a Sham||11/15/11|
|4||Health Reform bill was a SHAM WOW. Find out why in VIDEO.||09/24/10|
|5||Epstein's Autopsy Report a Sham!!! As House Judiciary Committee Launches HotBall Investigation||08/24/19|
|6||National Intelligence Estimate - Authoritative Report so Damning White House Cedes (Sham) War in Iraq Fuels Jihadism!! LEAKED! SEPTEMBER SURPRISE??||09/26/06|
|7||Crash and Burn: Trump's 'black and brown supporters' White House sham. Paid attendees and free beer.||10/28/20|
|8||House Approves Another $66 Billion for (sham) War!! Iraq at $320 BILLION & Afganistan at 89 BILLION!!||06/13/06|
|9||RACE FOR THE WHITE HOUSE 2016: Already a sham...Democrats propose Internet voting in 2016, making Republican also consider the idea||05/10/14|