Coronavirus Patient Dies After Family Unplug Ventilator to Use AC
A man being treated for COVID-19 at a hospital in India has died after his family allegedly turned off his ventilator to plug in an air cooler, as reported by the Indian Express.
The 40-year-old patient was being treated for breathing difficulties and suspected COVID-19, though his coronavirus test later came back as negative. The man was being cared for at ICU in the Maharao Bhim Singh (MBS) Hospital in Rajasthan's Kota district, where he was moved to an isolation ward after another patient tested positive for coronavirus.
According to the Indian Express, on June 15 the isolation ward was hot, so the family allegedly unplugged the ventilator to plug in the air cooler. The ventilator had a battery but after being unplugged, it ran out of power around 30 minutes later and the man's condition deteriorated. The family informed the medical staff who performed CPR but the patient died.