Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,646 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 676,469
Pageviews Today: 1,087,381Threads Today: 334Posts Today: 5,846
11:12 AM


Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing
 

PLANS TO HOST UNVETTED MIGRANTS IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN IRELAND CANCELLED AFTER PROTESTORS TAKE TO THE STREETS

 
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 86670165
United Kingdom
01/06/2024 08:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
PLANS TO HOST UNVETTED MIGRANTS IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN IRELAND CANCELLED AFTER PROTESTORS TAKE TO THE STREETS
A group of people waited overnight outside a Ballinrobe hotel that is due to house up to 50 male refugees in the coming days.

At its peak, close to 100 people gathered outside JJ Gannon's hotel to protest against the proposed accommodation of up to 50 international protection applicants at the hotel, which closed in 2012.

The property had been mooted to house Ukrainian refugees back in September after refurbishment works took place throughout the summer.

However, local representatives were informed on Thursday that the Main Street hotel would be used to house 50 male international protection applicants from Monday, January 8.

Protesters began to assemble at Main Street from approximately 7pm onwards after Cllr Michael Burke publicly announced the development on his Facebook page on Friday afternoon.

The Fine Gael councillor, alongside fellow local representatives Damien Ryan (Fianna Fáil) and Patsy O’Brien (Independent) all addressed the gathering, which dwindled to less than ten people as the night progressed.

The event was policed by at least three gardaí, one of whom told The Mayo News that there had been no incidents at the protest that evening.

A garda squad car also patrolled the area throughout Friday evening.

Parts of the demonstration were also live streamed via social media while a number of cars blew their horn in approval while passing by the demonstration.

Michelle Marie Smith, a local businesswoman who helped organise the gathering, told The Mayo News that the demonstrators would stand there ‘as long as we have to’ to prevent the hotel being used as refugee accommodation.

Ms Smith, who has made social media posts in the past criticising Taoiseach Leo Varadkar, said the gathering had been ‘a great success’.

The demonstrators, who erected a gazebo at the front of the hotel and lit an outdoor fire for heat, received soup and sweets during Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Gatherers were also invited to sign a petition voicing their opposition to the development.

Two men, who said they were there in a work capacity, were refused entry to the hotel by protestors when they arrived after 2am on Saturday morning

“The community spirit here has been fantastic, but at the end of the day, this on the Main Street of Ballinrobe, there is a play school two doors down, we have kids going to school here and the businesses here need to be protected, because these foreign nationals will come in with 38 euro a week. What are they going to do and where are they going to go? They have no facilities here for them,” said Ms Smith, who said the demonstrators were not part of any particular party or organised group.

“The town is just not able to have the capacity. There is12 rooms in that hotel taking in 50 males so even for a humanitarian basis, we won’t allow it and we will stand here for as long as we have to make sure it doesn’t happen.”

Ms Smith, who is originally from Armagh but has lived in Mayo for 23 years, voiced concerns – echoed by other women who spoke to The Mayo News at the demonstration – regarding how the proposed accommodation would affect public safety.

At least one other property in Ballinrobe is being used to accommodate refugees, including accommodation above Art O’Neill’s bar on Abbey Street.

In 2022, a total of 1,289 living in the Ballinrobe town area were of an ethnicity other than ‘White Irish’ - some 41 percent of the population.

Ms Smith said that she had ‘no problem with people coming into the country if they are going to contribute to our society’.

After it was pointed out to Ms Smith that the town already has a sizable migrant population, she said: “We know where these people were from because they are actually working and they are contributing to the town. What we don’t know about these 50 men is where they are coming from, who they are, what are their criminal backgrounds, if they have any and why are we helping 50 males only?

“The whole humanitarian thing was meant to be about helping families flee troubles from Ukraine. We are not getting that. We are getting 50 males that we know absolutely nothing about and my daughter will not walk down here during the day or at night time until this is put a stop to.”

Ms Smith also rejected the suggestion by Cllr Burke that the move was ‘set in stone’.

Cllr Burke told the gathering on Friday that county councillors had ‘absolutely no input’ into the allocation of international protection applicants to communities.

“I will take back the message that I’m getting clear and loud tonight,” Cllr Burke said.

According to information provided to Cllr Burke by the Department of Children, Equality, Disability Integration and Youth, the JJ Gannon’s hotel is owned by Tom O’Connor, who has been offered a one-year contract by the department.

The property is leased to Sunnyhill Explorer and Banandel Ltd. The latter company will run the site on a 24/7 basis and has experience of managing IPAS (International Protection Accommodation Service) centres.

There will be at least seven staff members on site during the day, including a general manager for five days a week and a duty manager at other times. There will be a minimum of two staff on duty on any given time, including three-night porters between 8am and 8pm and two cleaning staff from 8am to 2pm.

International protection applicants resident IPAS accommodation will receive an allowance of €38.80 per week and will be entitled to medical cards.

A total of 190 IPAS centres have been utilised across 26 counties since January 2022.

Cllr Damien Ryan said he stood ‘in solidarity’ with those in attendance and called for people to relay their concerns to national representatives.

Cllr Ryan said there had been no prior contact with local county councillors regarding the use of the building for international protection applicants until they received an email from the Department of Children, Equality, Disability Integration and Youth on Thursday.

“National policy is what’s dictating what’s going on at local level. I certainly have concerns and reservations. I think the public at large embrace a level of acceptance with genuine refugees. I think what has infuriated the public here is 50 males going into a building with no collaboration, no communication,” Cllr Ryan told the gathering on Friday evening.

Robeen-based Independent councillor Patsy O’Brien told The Mayo News that he would seek a full meeting of Mayo County Council on the matter of immigration.

Citing recent protests over the proposed housing of international protection applicants in Clare, Cllr O’Brien said that liaison officers should be appointed to engage with communities which are due to accommodate refugees.

[link to www.mayonews.ie (secure)]
beeches

User ID: 80558422
United States
01/06/2024 08:40 AM

Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: PLANS TO HOST UNVETTED MIGRANTS IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN IRELAND CANCELLED AFTER PROTESTORS TAKE TO THE STREETS
Good for them.
thanks for posting this.

Invaders, they are hardly migrants
Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face – Thomas Sowell
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 86670165
United Kingdom
01/06/2024 08:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: PLANS TO HOST UNVETTED MIGRANTS IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN IRELAND CANCELLED AFTER PROTESTORS TAKE TO THE STREETS
Apparanly it was suppose to be for ukraininian families then at last minute the organisers said ohhhh its for people from like africa and asia





there is a massive human traficking scam going on in ireland at the moment every day you hear stories of these unused buildings being plannned to bring in migrants,
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 86620543
United States
01/06/2024 10:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: PLANS TO HOST UNVETTED MIGRANTS IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN IRELAND CANCELLED AFTER PROTESTORS TAKE TO THE STREETS
Good for them.
thanks for posting this.

Invaders, they are hardly migrants
 Quoting: beeches


CORRECT^^^
NimbusAurelius

User ID: 79957698
United States
01/06/2024 11:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: PLANS TO HOST UNVETTED MIGRANTS IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN IRELAND CANCELLED AFTER PROTESTORS TAKE TO THE STREETS
Glad to see the Irish still have it in them. My ancestors.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 75259077
United States
01/06/2024 11:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: PLANS TO HOST UNVETTED MIGRANTS IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN IRELAND CANCELLED AFTER PROTESTORS TAKE TO THE STREETS
BURN THE PLACES DOWN B4 THEY ARRIVE\!~
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 84008089
France
01/06/2024 11:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: PLANS TO HOST UNVETTED MIGRANTS IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN IRELAND CANCELLED AFTER PROTESTORS TAKE TO THE STREETS
Good for them, you people should never assume people from different cultures are same as you.

Blacks, and muslims, believe in things like gang rape, and many blacks, and muslims coming into europe, will be murderers, and rapists from there own cultures, and that society does not prosecute such things.

Look at muslim sexual grooming gangs in england, and how in england they are now putting black and muslim adult males into schools, and many of these males may be murderers and rapists from there own cultures back in africa, or muslim countries, where such things are not prosecuted

3rd world is dumping its worst people into white world, believing they will take over, and its very very organised.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 86670165
United Kingdom
01/06/2024 02:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: PLANS TO HOST UNVETTED MIGRANTS IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN IRELAND CANCELLED AFTER PROTESTORS TAKE TO THE STREETS
UPDATE GOVERNMENT HAVE NOT CANCELLED AND STILL TRYING TO PLACE PEOPLE THERE





GLP