Police shoot dead naked college student

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25041608
United States
10/06/2012 07:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Police shoot dead naked college student
I apologize if it has already been brought up but I found it pretty disturbing and am interested on others thoughts/opinions.

[link to www.miamiherald.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2533077
United States
10/06/2012 08:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Police shoot dead naked college student
paid administrative leave. = paid vacation, a little R&R for murdering a student, nice world we live in huh.
no weapon, no shoot, your a cold blooded murderer and we know the "Brotherhood" will back you ass. this will be swept under the rug.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/06/2012 08:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah it makes me sad to see how liberal lethal force is used lately. I mean the kid was probably stoned or having a psychotic break. Why do police even carry tazers and spray if not for a naked unarmed person?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24946775
Portugal
10/06/2012 08:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wasn't just last year that tasers were being overused and having a lot of bad publicity?

Seems they forgot those at home by now.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22820077
United Kingdom
10/06/2012 08:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
he was naked and unarmed? what did the cop think he was gonna do?

far too much of this shit happening. cops with guns. thank fuck theyre not armed here
Tethered Soul

User ID: 23195427
United States
10/06/2012 08:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
He got jealous of his dick size.
thetrickybigguy

User ID: 25059474
United States
10/06/2012 08:27 PM

Report Abusive Post
I apologize if it has already been brought up but I found it pretty disturbing and am interested on others thoughts/opinions.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25041608

bsflag

bath salts!!
Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living. ~

Life is about choices, you get to make them each and every day of your life. ~

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.~

Only in America... do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poloi' in Greek meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.~

“When a government is dependent for money upon the bankers, they and not the government leaders control the nation. This is because the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Financiers are without patriotism and without decency.”

If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.

Winston Churchill
Mulletman

User ID: 22487699
United States
10/06/2012 08:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why all the nakedness and shootings?
BringTheDoom.com - Wake up and smell the Doom!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22993980
United States
10/06/2012 08:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good. One less.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25091232
United States
10/06/2012 08:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
bath salts!!
 Quoting: thetrickybigguy

They will blame that or cannabis, no matter what antidepressant the student just started on.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/06/2012 08:40 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25041608

bsflag

bath salts!!
 Quoting: thetrickybigguy

Could be, but its also on [link to abcnews.go.com] and isn't written like the aforementioned zombie article. I'll try and look for some more citations.
BRIEF

User ID: 24771157
United States
10/06/2012 08:42 PM

Report Abusive Post
Obviously when a person is running around in public nude he's in his right mind and not being violent or anything...derp

I never forgive and I never forget

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
The Governor

User ID: 25061971
United States
10/06/2012 08:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Mulletman

Because clothed stabbings are so 20th century.
Welcome to Woodbury.

I think being a Democrat should be a felony.

[link to www.policymic.com]
BRIEF

United States
10/06/2012 08:47 PM

Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Mulletman

Because clothed stabbings are so 20th century.
 Quoting: The Governor

I can't even count the number of times I went running around outside naked...

I never learned how to count to zero...

I am a licensed firearm holder. I will, under protection of law, use lethal force if attacked.

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24969748
United States
10/06/2012 08:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
The naked man, mostly humerus, sometimes deadly.

When then for cowbells, humor must shine.
Captain Spaulding
User ID: 24590107
United States
10/06/2012 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm in NO WAY defending what the cop did. No. Not at all. I just have ONE thing to say, from experience...

I was an EMT 1A ("A" means I was certified to drive and ambulance) in Los Angeles for about a year and a half in the early 90's (I found it wasn't for me, long boring story). In training we were told to NEVER approach a naked person acting erratically. The reason being PCP (angel dust or whatever the crap is) for some reason makes people lose it and want to strip naked and they can be unpredictably violent, and we should wait for the police to deal with them first. Follow them, but keep our distance.

Luckily I never had to. But I'm thinking the cop might have had that information in the back of his (maybe paranoid) mind and freaked out and made the wrong decision. Which obviously, in their business, should not be tolerated. Tazers work great. Pepper spray works great. Calling for backup works great. he screwed up. Somebody might've dosed the kid up at a party. The article said he was trying to get IN to the police station. Not running away from one.

In the job I had before the EMT work I tackled a guy on some kind of drugs who tried to run down, in his car, my co-workers one night (at the Pasadena courthouse) by myself, and then several others jumped in to hold him. The jerk was as strong as a linebacker and I got messed up tackling him and rolling up and down the stairs of the place wrestling him. He even bit a hole in my side. The police showed up, got out of their car and CASUALLY walked over, and while we all held the guys arms, put the handcuffs on him. Of course the paper the next day said "Police give pursuit and apprehend man on angel dust... etc" POLICE "gave pursuit and apprehended"? The reporters interviewed me in detail while the paramedics were cleaning my wounds. Trust police OR news reporters for the truth? Why? I'm just glad he had his clothes on. I can just see a picture of me on the front page wrestling with a drugged up naked guy. Wouldn't THAT make my Mom proud!
BRIEF

United States
10/06/2012 08:56 PM

Report Abusive Post
I'm in NO WAY defending what the cop did. No. Not at all. I just have ONE thing to say, from experience...

I was an EMT 1A ("A" means I was certified to drive and ambulance) in Los Angeles for about a year and a half in the early 90's (I found it wasn't for me, long boring story). In training we were told to NEVER approach a naked person acting erratically. The reason being PCP (angel dust or whatever the crap is) for some reason makes people lose it and want to strip naked and they can be unpredictably violent, and we should wait for the police to deal with them first. Follow them, but keep our distance.

Luckily I never had to. But I'm thinking the cop might have had that information in the back of his (maybe paranoid) mind and freaked out and made the wrong decision. Which obviously, in their business, should not be tolerated. Tazers work great. Pepper spray works great. Calling for backup works great. he screwed up. Somebody might've dosed the kid up at a party. The article said he was trying to get IN to the police station. Not running away from one.

In the job I had before the EMT work I tackled a guy on some kind of drugs who tried to run down, in his car, my co-workers one night (at the Pasadena courthouse) by myself, and then several others jumped in to hold him. The jerk was as strong as a linebacker and I got messed up tackling him and rolling up and down the stairs of the place wrestling him. He even bit a hole in my side. The police showed up, got out of their car and CASUALLY walked over, and while we all held the guys arms, put the handcuffs on him. Of course the paper the next day said "Police give pursuit and apprehend man on angel dust... etc" POLICE "gave pursuit and apprehended"? The reporters interviewed me in detail while the paramedics were cleaning my wounds. Trust police OR news reporters for the truth? Why? I'm just glad he had his clothes on. I can just see a picture of me on the front page wrestling with a drugged up naked guy. Wouldn't THAT make my Mom proud!
 Quoting: Captain Spaulding 24590107

Nonlethal weapons don't work on people jacked up on PCP...

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23579473
United States
10/06/2012 09:04 PM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks for sharing your story.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15680976
United States
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: BRIEF

Hey look Briefs either lying or being an idiot again.

What a shockeroops2
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25090380
United States
Report Abusive Post

So you jump right to murder as the optimum option.
BRIEF

United States
10/06/2012 09:06 PM

Report Abusive Post

So you jump right to murder as the optimum option.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 25090380

Killing a crazy is not murder...

Briefcut4892
0pEnLy~Gr@y

User ID: 24442987
Australia
10/06/2012 09:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
They seem to shoot everything except for themselves these days.

Maybe Cop to Cop shooting will become their latest addition to the menu in coming weeks.
~Gr@y Believer~
BRIEF

United States
10/06/2012 09:09 PM

Report Abusive Post

Maybe Cop to Cop shooting will become their latest addition to the menu in coming weeks.
 Quoting: 0pEnLy~Gr@y

If a cop strips naked and acts the fool and being violent I'd expect the same reaction...

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25094227
United States
10/06/2012 09:10 PM
Report Abusive Post

I appreciate your insight and agree. Like you said, there are less-than-lethal means at an officers disposal. Here's a different account of the incident from a post on CBS. From how this read, the officer never attempted to use less-than-lethal force. If the officer was aware of how naked erratic people act (as you suggest), shouldn't they be aware that diplomacy will likely fail? It just sucks to see people die like this. I mean a leg-shot or something.

"At 1:23 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 6, University of South Alabama Police
responded to a loud banging noise on the west side window of the police
station. When an officer exited the station to investigate, he was
confronted by a muscular, nude man who was acting erratically. The man
repeatedly rushed and verbally challenged the officer in a fighting
stance.

The officer with weapon drawn ordered the individual to halt. The
officer retreated numerous times in an attempt to calm the situation.
The individual continued to press toward the officer in a threatening
manner. The assailant kneeled for a moment, and then he rose again,
rushing and chasing the officer, who continued to retreat away from the
building. When the individual continued to rush toward the officer in a
threatening manner and ignored the officer's repeated commands to
stop, the officer fired one shot with his police sidearm, which struck
the chest of the assailant. The individual fell to the ground, but he
got up once more and continued to challenge the officer further before
collapsing and expiring.

The deceased has been identified as Gilbert Thomas Collar, an
18-year-old freshman from Wetumpka, Ala.

Immediately after the incident, the USA Police Department contacted the
District Attorney's Office to request an external investigation.
Mobile County Sheriff's Department will assist. The officer has been
placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of internal and
external reviews.

The University extends its condolences to Mr. Collar's family."
0pEnLy~Gr@y

User ID: 24442987
Australia
10/06/2012 09:11 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: 0pEnLy~Gr@y

If a cop strips naked and acts the fool and being violent I'd expect the same reaction...

Now wouldn't that be something special!
~Gr@y Believer~
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24931978
United States
10/06/2012 09:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
First off, Brief, you need to shut the fuck up because your a complete ignoramus. Secondly, the copy easily could have just shot at his legs instead of instinctually firing a lethal shot at the person's chest.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 25094683
United States
10/06/2012 09:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Obviously when a person is running around in public nude he's in his right mind and not being violent or anything...derp

Sigh. The police need more training in hand to hand combat. They also need to learn to shoot to disable.....whenever appropriate. An appropriate move for a naked kid would definitely be disable.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
10/06/2012 09:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
First off, Brief, you need to shut the fuck up because your a complete ignoramus. Secondly, the copy easily could have just shot at his legs instead of instinctually firing a lethal shot at the person's chest.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24931978

thumbs
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24988059
United States
10/06/2012 09:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
The cop shot a dead, naked college student? Why did he shoot a naked corpse?
BRIEF

United States
10/06/2012 09:16 PM

Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24931978

Maybe he could have fired a warning shot like in the movies!

1rof1

Last Edited by BRIEF on 10/06/2012 09:16 PM

Briefcut4892
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
10/06/2012 09:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
these trigger-happy pigs are a fucking menace, and defending their actions just makes you look complete cunt

im sure you just try it on for kicks though

GLP