Gunner
User ID: 24854327
United States
10/03/2012 12:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Tactical Shotgun or AR-15?
This of course for self defense.

ShotGun: Red Dot sight, 18in Barrel and 28In Barrel (spare).

or

AR-15: Red Dot Sight, 16in Barrel

What do you guys prefer?

Personally I would go with the shotgun because:

More stopping power.
Interchangable Barrels. IE: 18in for Security and 26in for hunting.

Different rounds (ie: Sabot,Slugs, Exotic Ammo, 00Buck, birshot, ect..)

If you had to choose one or the other, what would it be and why?
flashlight

User ID: 24419775
United States
10/03/2012 12:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Tactical Shotgun or AR-15?
Depends. If you're new to the firing range get the shotgun otherwise if you have tons of money to blow on rounds and good target practice go with the ar-15 and hope it doesn't jam.

That should be enough data for you to mine.
I am a disciple of my mind.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/03/2012 12:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Depends. If you're new to the firing range get the shotgun otherwise if you have tons of money to blow on rounds and good target practice go with the ar-15 and hope it doesn't jam.

Quoting: flashlight

What would you personally get? (assuming you don't have either one already).
flashlight

United States
10/03/2012 12:47 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 24854327

The shotgun.

.223 rounds are too much for my pocketbook. The shotgun won't do much against your average gov't thug with kevlar but it'll stop some looters from raping your wife and kids.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/03/2012 12:49 AM
Report Abusive Post

The shotgun.

.223 rounds are too much for my pocketbook. The shotgun won't do much against your average gov't thug with kevlar but it'll stop some looters from raping your wife and kids.

If a slug doesn't go through the kevelar, it sure as hell would have enough power to knock someone's head off there shoulders. No?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2679163
United States
10/03/2012 12:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you go tactical shotgun the only choice is SAIGA 12. If not go with the AR.
flashlight

United States
10/03/2012 12:51 AM
Report Abusive Post

The shotgun.

If a slug doesn't go through the kevelar, it sure as hell would have enough power to knock someone's head off there shoulders. No?

Slugs are another story all together. I have a better idea. I'll hide my guns and save my #6 lead shots for the game I have to hunt after you douches try to take control of the food supply.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/03/2012 12:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
So far it seems like the shotgun is winning.

So when SHTF you can start shooting rifled slugs.

Assuming its Close Quarters
flashlight

United States
10/03/2012 12:57 AM
Report Abusive Post

Yep, that should give you and your goons some good intel. Keep in mind, I have a 30-30 that my boys or wife will keep in handy if I see any kevlar thugs roaming around.
Patrick Bateman

User ID: 24835255
United States
10/03/2012 12:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
I would say the AR. Yes, if you are inside for close combat the 12 gauge is probably better, but you can do so much more outside with the AR.

Plus I love the .223.

Get the AR and a cheap double barrel shotgun.
tenngoat

User ID: 19211640
United States
10/03/2012 12:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
The question is a good one. However, what specifically the weapon will be used for is another. Are you looking to defend your home once someone enters the dwelling? Are you skilled with guns (what other types of weapons have you fired)? Do you live in a subdivision or out in the country away from neighbors?

These questions get at the heart of what you are comfortable with and what environment the weapon will be used in.

If you are skilled with a gun and can hit targets 50-100yds away, go with the AR. You will NOT be able to mount a defense of your home until the bad guys are actually INSIDE the house with a shotgun. Secondly, one of the other posters had it right when they said that a shotgun blast will be ineffective versus the kevlar the bad guys will be wearing. Some AR rounds will be able to penetrate and you can "pick your spots" better with a rifle. In my opinion, the ONLY advantage that the shotgun has over the AR is the cost and availability of the rounds.

To be sure, you "really" need 3 different types of gun for defense purposes. A reliable side arm (.40 and up), a rifle (preferably semi auto) and a shotgun. Each of those 3 provides a specific "mission" in any home defense situation.

Good luck my friend.

macgun
"Government is NOT reason; it is NOT eloquent; it is FORCE. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant, and a fearful master". George Washington
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/03/2012 01:00 AM
Report Abusive Post

Yep, that should give you and your goons some good intel. Keep in mind, I have a 30-30 that my boys or wife will keep in handy if I see any kevlar thugs roaming around.

There's this cool round for the shotty called "dragons breath". Really cool.

Also the Flechette round is crazy!

Too bad the AR doesn't have exotic ammo. Traser rounds don't count.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/03/2012 01:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
I would say the AR. Yes, if you are inside for close combat the 12 gauge is probably better, but you can do so much more outside with the AR.

Plus I love the .223.

Quoting: Patrick Bateman

There is actually an attachment you can put underneath your AR-15 Rail system that will facilitate a 12 GA Shotgun. So you have the best of both worlds. There is a military version of that attachment and a Civilian one.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10372663
United States
10/03/2012 01:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP if you would have tried the old "One for the Gunnies" as a thread title it might have attracted more attention.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24323748
United States
10/03/2012 01:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Shotgun is only for CQB. High capacity shotgun is only for moving short distances. From an unsafe location to a safe one.
I owned a Siaga for a while till a pawn shop gyped me out of it. It was excellent for fast heavy hard hitting damage and fair for skeet shooting =). While it is true a shotgun can kill up to and including 350 yards with flechettes. It is really only effective at about 35 yards or less. Up to 100 is reasonable for a fair marksman with slugs. Don't ask me the drop I don't know.

Personally I dont think any .223 is a sufficient gun not an A.R. not an M16 not even an M4 (though I would like to have one of those seal kits).

Sure a 223 is common and throws allot of lead, some very accurately, but the facts is .223 was made to wound not kill.
What good is a wounded zombie? I want my zombies flat on they're stinking backs.

7.62 or .308 or 30-06 History shows that .30 caliber is the best for getting the job done.

Honestly for true home defense, a Ruger super blackhawk in .44 mag is usually all you ever gonna need.

Red dots and reflex scopes go a long ways to help anyone who isnt able to practice shooting with any regularity. But a true reflex shooter is still gonna be faster.

But don't forget Cardio!, Always check the back seat! When in doubt know your way out! and double tap =)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11361590
United States
10/03/2012 01:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
I vote shotgun. #4 buckshot will help reduce (but not eliminate!) the risk of penetration through interior walls while retaining stopping power at across- the- room distances. As you mentioned, you also have a wider variety of ammo types to choose from. I would suggest also getting a rifled barrel for sabot slugs, to allow you to engage large targets and/or animals out to the 100 yard range with reasonable accuracy. Then you will have a really versatile hunting and defense tool!

The AR-15 is designed as a battle rifle, with the ability to engage targets at a (relatively)long range, out to 500 meters. While it can make a good self defense weapon, you will not need the long range option for most self defense scenarios. In addition, the 5.56 round is relatively small and light and will not be as effective as a hunting tool for larger animals if you need it. If you go for the AR I would suggest one in a larger caliber, such as the 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel.

However, I do think the .223/ 5.56 round is cheaper to practice with, at least around here. Shotgun rounds are around 60 cents and up if bought in bulk, while .223 rounds in bulk can be had for 33 cents each.
flashlight

United States
10/03/2012 01:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
I vote shotgun. #4 buckshot will help reduce (but not eliminate!) the risk of penetration through interior walls while retaining stopping power at across- the- room distances. As you mentioned, you also have a wider variety of ammo types to choose from. I would suggest also getting a rifled barrel for sabot slugs, to allow you to engage large targets and/or animals out to the 100 yard range with reasonable accuracy. Then you will have a really versatile hunting and defense tool!

The AR-15 is designed as a battle rifle, with the ability to engage targets at a (relatively)long range, out to 500 meters. While it can make a good self defense weapon, you will not need the long range option for most self defense scenarios. In addition, the 5.56 round is relatively small and light and will not be as effective as a hunting tool for larger animals if you need it. If you go for the AR I would suggest one in a larger caliber, such as the 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel.

However, I do think the .223/ 5.56 round is cheaper to practice with, at least around here. Shotgun rounds are around 60 cents and up if bought in bulk, while .223 rounds in bulk can be had for 33 cents each.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11361590

I dunno; it seems to me that a rifled shotgun barrel to accomodate slugs is an exercise in futility. They're going to be innacurate as shit no matter what.
indifissible

User ID: 2016178
United States
10/03/2012 01:18 AM

Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2679163

Amen. I am well versed in weaponry of all sorts. If the shtf, and has a chance of quickly coming back together, you don't want to be shooting people 200-300 meters away...try explaining that urgent need to LE. At first problems will arise in CQB situations and having a high capacity 12 gauge (20 round drum) that is as powerful as class 3 USAS destructive devices is a formidable weapon. Later if needed you can acquire or trade for an AR. Appearance is almost as powerful as the weapon itself. They look mean.
"I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"-- Thomas Sowell

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing!
flashlight

United States
10/03/2012 01:27 AM
Report Abusive Post

Amen. I am well versed in weaponry of all sorts. If the shtf, and has a chance of quickly coming back together, you don't want to be shooting people 200-300 meters away...try explaining that urgent need to LE. At first problems will arise in CQB situations and having a high capacity 12 gauge (20 round drum) that is as powerful as class 3 USAS destructive devices is a formidable weapon. Later if needed you can acquire or trade for an AR. Appearance is almost as powerful as the weapon itself. They look mean.
 Quoting: indifissible

Or you can go with a Mossberg 500....(if you love bruises)
DarkLotus
User ID: 11361590
United States
10/03/2012 01:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
I dunno; it seems to me that a rifled shotgun barrel to accomodate slugs is an exercise in futility. They're going to be innacurate as shit no matter what.

I guess it depends on the quality of the rifled barrel, and what range you are shooting to. My Mossberg 590's rifled barrel will hold 2" to 2.5" groups out to 100 yards with Hornady SST sabots ( I haven't had the chance to try them at longer ranges yet). I consider that more than adequate for my intended purpose, i.e. medium range shots on large game. The key is to get good quality sabots designed for rifled barrels- they aren't the same as rifled slugs designed for regular shotgun barrels (which you may already know, but I'll state it anyway for the benefit of those who might not)- which I will agree are generally not accurate.

Obviously, if you plan on shooting at longer ranges the answer is to get a rifle instead. However, a rifled barrel and good sabot rounds will allow you to hit targets with your shotgun at a range that you could not reach with it otherwise.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24783199
China
10/03/2012 02:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
these are different tools
you need both and a handgun
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23011194
United States
10/03/2012 02:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
AR-15 with an Eotech. Nothing is faster when it comes to target aquisition. When u know what your doing and keep it clean they rarely jam. Dragging it through the mud? well that may be a different story.
Sharty Mc Bean

User ID: 24822138
Germany
10/03/2012 02:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24862552
Greece
10/03/2012 03:20 AM
Report Abusive Post

Or you can go with a Mossberg 500....(if you love bruises)

lol, yeah. Kick like a mule, you have to wonder who is really on the receiving end of it. Looks the biz though, if you need intimidation.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17561018
United States
10/03/2012 03:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you can afford both, get them. That being said, if you have to choose and you're are making that choice based on the potential for two way range experiences, pick the AR-15. The reasons for this are numerous. I'll highlight them as best as I can whilst being sleepy.

1. The ability to provide good cover fire- the AR can do this, the shotgun can't.

2. The AR is lighter, the ammo is lighter so you can carry more over the long haul. Plus the reduced weight leads to more maneuverbility during a combat situation. Believe me, you'll be glad to have that when there are real bullets flying in your direction. If you want a fun test, do 8 100 yard sprints with a shotgun in your hand, try to acquire a series of targets at different ranges at the end of each sprint. Then on another day do the sprints with the AR, you'll see the difference.

3. Make sure you choose an AR chambered for 5.56 and not just .223. There is a minute difference in the round sizes. A rifle chambered for 5.56 can shoot both.

4. You have plenty of great optical choices for your AR. I agree with one fellow that eotech is a great option. Another is an acog.

5. Somebody made a comment about kevlar vests, that can be remedied with teflon coated rounds. But if you want my opinion, if your opposition is wearing kevlar vests, odds are you don't need to be engaging them anyway. They are probably well trained and in all likelihood they have already scouted you out, know your numbers, and have you out positioned. You need to establish cover fire and get out.

For full disclosure, I'm an AK owner. But the AR is a fine rifle and I'm sure it will serve you well in the service of keeping you and your loved ones alive. But make sure you get some training. Also, read Sun Tzu's Art of War. This should be required reading for every survivalist.
freethinkingguy

User ID: 1361430
United States
10/03/2012 03:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
An AR-15,223/556 is good around common round. Benelli 12 gage any model that will chamber 2 3/4 in round and all the to 3 1/2 mags including slug rounds...bite the bullet for both and mag amounts of ammo.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 22491741
United States
10/03/2012 03:59 AM
Report Abusive Post

My opinion is ar15's look more intimidating. I know someone is able to dump 30 rounds into some ass close range and at distance and not knowing how many mags they might have on them. A shotgun your limited. In doors\close range either having a bandolier which still isn't enough or having to stay close to your ammo supply. If you ever need to travel and encounter resistance and need to pop off a round here and there to stop someone from advancing. People stock pile ammo parts and accesories for ar's but not so much for shotguns. If you plan on staying in your house while it's being burnt to the ground than stick with the shotgun if your running for your life and want to keep people at a distance than an ar would be alot better. Easier to spot a spent shot shell.

After doing a sweep of my house with a shotgun and realizing how shitty it actually is having to lower or point the barrel away from the door i'm opening I went out and bought a handgun. Now I have a conceal carry license and carry wherever I go.
flashlight

User ID: 3367996
United States
10/03/2012 09:16 AM
Report Abusive Post

I guess it depends on the quality of the rifled barrel, and what range you are shooting to. My Mossberg 590's rifled barrel will hold 2" to 2.5" groups out to 100 yards with Hornady SST sabots ( I haven't had the chance to try them at longer ranges yet). I consider that more than adequate for my intended purpose, i.e. medium range shots on large game. The key is to get good quality sabots designed for rifled barrels- they aren't the same as rifled slugs designed for regular shotgun barrels (which you may already know, but I'll state it anyway for the benefit of those who might not)- which I will agree are generally not accurate.

Obviously, if you plan on shooting at longer ranges the answer is to get a rifle instead. However, a rifled barrel and good sabot rounds will allow you to hit targets with your shotgun at a range that you could not reach with it otherwise.
 Quoting: DarkLotus 11361590

That is a very good point. As far as versatility goes I think this is the winning combo.
Patrick Bateman

User ID: 24835255
United States
10/03/2012 11:30 AM
Report Abusive Post

Plus I love the .223.

Quoting: Patrick Bateman

There is actually an attachment you can put underneath your AR-15 Rail system that will facilitate a 12 GA Shotgun. So you have the best of both worlds. There is a military version of that attachment and a Civilian one.

Very true, but I am not a fan of it. I would prefer 2 separate weapons, but this is just my preference. If you want an under-barrel attachment, get the grenade launcher.

: )

The real deal is illegal, but you can get the ones that use smoke grenades, etc. And I think you can get attachments for those to shoot 12 gauge shells.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18808660
Canada
10/03/2012 11:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
Isn't America famouse for $50 Shotgun's in pawn shops?
Thats how the "Hobo with a Shotgun" got his shotgun.

Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
10/03/2012 07:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
I still fail to see how an AR-15 or any rife would benefit anyone in CQC over the Tactical Shotty.

Has anyone see the super shorty?

Go to google images and type in "super shorty".

There is no better way to conceal a shotty and have massive power. Makes the desert eagle look like bubble gum change.

GLP